Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Blue smoke exhaust and oil consumption

I own a Baja Subaru 2005 with 149k, manual transmission.

I recently have been to a subaru dealer to deal with an oil consumption issue.

My issue was blue smoke exhaust and oil consumption. Subaru suggested a leak down/compression test. The test came up with 95% compression. "Leak down test shows that rings are good, oil loss due to failing head gaskets." Subaru went into engine, and replaced valves seats.

I still have the same issue! I've put 2,000 since and still using a quart of oil, with blue smoke.

Subaru suggests high mileage oil??? at 150k??

Ususlly with a subaru and excessive oil use is related tot he PCV ststem.

The PCV valve and its hoses are part of a crankcase vent on theback of the engine, with a portion of the block acting as a catch can behind the flywheel. There is what is called an oil separator plate, pr baffle plate, that is usually a cause for a leak. But if it gets gummed up with carboned oil, it can cause oil to be ingested thrut the PCV ststem

Subaru shold have know n this. Inspecting or repairing this part requires pulling the engine to service a stamped piece ov metal held on my 7 screws.

at the mileage you have, it wouldn't be a bad idea to have the servince done along with engine selas. Once again, the subaru dealer should have thought of this. Take it back and suggest this and see if they will get warranty pay the same as doing servince that is not necessary.

• Like 1