Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Midwest 2 Status/Recovery updated:(and how to send $)

People that remain in Monona County:

Syrinx and his daughter, Miles Fox, Matt and Zanny Dook, Redlance-his life partner and children, and the owner of the Legacy GT-Matt.

11 People if I am counting right.

Vehicles stuck on the road:

ChefTim's hatch

Kurts Brat

My Brat

Matt's Legacy

Eyesore

SubieMech85

RedLance's Van (Chevy)

1 of the Ford Trucks owned by a local trying to help

The only vehicle the people left behind have is an XT6 that Redlance owns. All of these people are now staying at Loess Hills Hideaway. They do not have cell signal out there and they don't have any sort of phone either. Kurt has a cell phone but it was dead last I knew.

Weather forecast shows no sign of rain until Thursday. It is supposed to be VERY windy and at least 1 really sunny day this week so the hope is the road will dry some and make recovery by shovel and drive out possible but that is left to be seen.

Contributions to the cause for towing/road repair will be extremely well received and we thank you all in advance.

I would estimate that between 25-50 percent of the stuck vehicles will not be able to make the full drive to their owners home once recovered from the road. I hope Kurt's brat will make it at least to Micks in Des Moines or my house in Iowa City/Coralville.

UPDATE:

If you would like to send $ for recovery efforts, road repair fund, etc please email me, IM me, etc and I will get you a mailing address.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Every Soob in this picture except Mick's Brat is currently stuck.

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/80s/mick/gallery/mw2pics/PDC_0048.JPG

I have a 3.90 VLSD in my Brat. My tires are only 185/70 Mud/Snow street tires. No lift. I was doing okay and was leading the group but when everyone stopped because somebody got stuck things went sour fast. Loss of forward momentum and then a rainstorm followed by another rainstorm made it impossible to get out or get help to us. Nothing to snatch block to except each other and that wasnt helping either. Even farmers with Cat Diesel tractors that have rubber tank treads would not venture out on this road. Until a farmer thinks he won't get stuck trying to get us out we are all going to have our vehicles stuck out there.

Yep a few made it out.

Mick

Vickaroo

88XT6Joe in his wagon

Dave Valiant

Believe it or not I think the people with bald tires were better off. Same thing with Auto Trans. The mud didnt stick into the tires as bad and it was easier to clean the tires out when they did stop. Forward momentum with a torque converter seemed rather good too as they could wail on it and not burn their clutch out like some of us would.

WOW. Not a whole lot of ribbing I can give you guys. I can say the only more desolate place I've ever been to is the Bonneville Salt Flats. You folks need to move to where the trees are. ;)

What Shawn said about the autos seeming to do better than the dual ranges. . . First gear low is no good for that stuff, hi range baby. The only piece of recovery gear I can think of that would help is one of those "anchors" that digs itself into the dirt and acts as something to hook your rope/chain/strap to. Still might wanna get one to get you guys out.

I think that between me and Ken, we have about 200 feet of "reach out and grab ya", maybe a little more.

The cool thing about this is the bonding that's gonna come of it. All of you who attended and especially the ones who have to wait it out a little will have a pretty gnarly experience in common.

So who's holding the hat?

there are plenty of areas in Iowa with trees, but this was just a minimum maintainance road between some fields. just too much rain to be on them :)

The County Sheriff will be sending the bill to the Ultimate Subaru Club via Shawn and I. The bill will depend on the County, and what they have to do to fix the roads after the rigs are pulled out.

The Cop/Farmer will be pulling them out with a trac vehicle he has... after it gets dry enough to get in there with it....

I just called Brian and I got thru!

ALL VEHICLES EXCEPT FOR ONE OF THE RESCUE FORD TRUCKS HAVE BEEN RECOVERED AND ARE PARKED AT THE HOUSE AT THE END OF THE MUD ROAD WE WERE ALL CONGREGATING AT! HE DIDNT HAVE MANY MINUTES TO TALK SO WE KEPT IT SHORT.

Vehicle damage report:

Legacy: Ground effects kit damage and tire damage.

Kurt: Seems okay just VERY MUDDY.

Mine: Ran and all 4 wheels would turn.

More details to come.

We have a big patch of raw loose dirt in the lot next door......it's looking pretty dry. Just as an indicator, I'd say that road has to be driveable by now. If they wait too long, it will dry solid like cement. Gonna try to give that farmer on the corner a call.... see if he knows anything. (BTW, his name is Mike, and his # is 712-423-2756)

I have phoned Subiemech and Eyesore and they are aware that their vehicles are out.

I don't have Vicky's number if any of you do please IM me with it or call her yourself and reply here.

Please also be on the lookout for the shovel that is missing!

-Shawn

Heh kinda glad I couldnt make it now :) Makes doing a water pump on a '91 buick all day a breeze compared to getting stuck in Iowa for 3 days!

Glad to hear its starting to come to a resolution. Where exactly do we donate to this specific cuase/event ? I'd be happy to kick some $$$ to get people their rigs home or for the bill on the road maitanace.

I hope this fiasco doesnt end up being the counties excuse to finally update a minimum maitanace road at our expense. Afterall how much maitanace and repair would need to be done to a MINIMUM maitanace road?

Peace

Just got a call from that farmer....The only cars left at his place are Shawn's and Tim's. He said he had seen my car and the trashwagon together driving around by the super8 (don't know what the boys from butler are doing....the cars came out at noon, that's like 5 hours ago. I have heard zero from them. ) No word on Subiemech's car...It's not at the farmers. Maybe the guys are driving them back here? They should have been here hours ago if that's the case. I'm a little worried now. I was expecting my car to stay at the farmers till I could inspect it. I sincerely hope everyone is safe, (and my car. sorry, is that petty?) and en-route here......

I told the farmer: Ian (a local) was getting Tim's car back to him (as per previous post) and that Shawn's Parents were getting his. I also apologized profusely again. He was really cool, and made it sound like nobody local was really that peeved about it. (let's hope)

Still no car, and no word from Miles. If I haven't heard from them in the next hour or so, I think I'm going to have to call the Onawa police to see if they can locate my car. My instructions were to leave my car at the farmers house with the key in it. I can't comprehend why they are/were driving it around, where it might be, or why they haven't called. I don't like calling the cops over this, but this just isn't right. Obviously my car ran after getting rescued, I sure as hell hope it still runs. I'm 10 times more upset and worried now than I was when it was stuck in the mud. At least I knew where it was then. :banghead: