Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Midwest 2 Status/Recovery updated:(and how to send $)

I also want to know who had the Video camera out while we were stuck and if I could get a copy of the tape sent. I can digitize it in HIGH quality and post a link. I also just want to see it, whoever have that camera, please contact me ASAP.

Matt

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

VICKI-

I put Tim's rig at the Farmhouse. I spoke to Ian, (he was there too) and He mentioned he was going to get it on the trailer. THERE IS NO CLUTCH WHATSOEVER. Nothing, Zilch, Nada. I would have to guess it is nothing but fiber! I don't have your number, only Tim's and it was not answering..... I'm sorry I wasn't able to get in touch with you sooner. Ian's #712-420-1642

I will post more later with the whole story, but right now I have to catch up on homework for class tonight. I have been going nonstop since I got home this morning and I will have to catch up with the board later.

I also have pics.

BTW Eric (Zap) you would have been amazed at this mud. Shawns Brat's Wheels - all four - were completely encapsulated from the outer edge of the tire to the inner DOJ. This stuff is VERY STICKY!!! and when it dries it's concrete. Shawns Brat's running gear is currently frozen in a concrete time capsule. Within 100 feet of pulling Tims hatch out I was smoking the tires adn the "Mud" was cutting the tread off! Matt's Legacy lost a band of rubber on the inside of the tire 1 inch wide and 1/8th inch deep just going to the farm house (1000 ft?)

More to come.

I will try to get a hold of Matt with the legacy.

Kurt

I just realized Matt is GESSNER17 looks like he's safe at home.

Matt, I'm sorry things got nasty. We do have folks who can help out with parts and peices as necessary. Don't be afraid to ask about certain parts you may need and we will be more than happy to help out in any way we can.

BTW my hands will be dry for years after pulling that mud out of your car!

Kurt

After 2 hours of hosing, I have most of the mud off. (haven't gotten to the interior.) Had to remove it from the driveway with a shovel.

Fox and crew did a good job of tying the front end together with steel cable. The ball joint is toast, the axle may be salvagable, but the boots are thrashed, and some pieces are missing (clip & stuff.) Hopefully the parts will be easy to get & my local shop won't charge tooo much to fix it. (I'm supposed to drive it to Denver weekend after next!) She also sustained some body damage to the front bumper & R/F fender, but I'm not at all concerned about that. Adds carichter(sp). Sounds like I got off lucky compared to some folks. Sorry to hear about your car Matt, at least mine is an old beast.

Thanks Kurt!!! You are great!!! (As everyone who was there) I mean you where right there helping everyone!!!! And you had worries of your own but you keep your cool and first in line to "DIG" in there.... Yelp the number you got is our cell and I have to turn it off when Im on route... sorry...

The guy with the Video camera is Dave... He called me last night and he made it home in one piece!!!!

Who would have thought this would have happened, Some one at fault... YEAH!!!!! MOTHER NATURE!!!!!

Keep the faith everyone... Vicky

I had the video camera and the footage is awful.I was driving and filming at the same time.If you want a copy I can transfer it to vhs and send it to you to see if you find anything worth editing and posting.I did get some good footage of shawn using a prybar to dig his wheel wells out.I did start pushing him after I shut the camera off.PM with your mailing address and I will try to get it out as soon as possible.Dave.

still at subiemech's, just getting around to going home. zanny dook wrecked my car. it was a combination of my jackass move and his inexperience behind the wheel. this is how it goes....

we went to des moines to do the head gasket on the sedan. we spent most of the day till 4 pm, got it all together, and some title work done. it needed a fuel pump from sitting for 10 years. we drove the turbo wagon to subiemech's. but it ran out of oil 3 miles from his house. we stopped and added oil. we tried to find zook spur. what is with these iowa roads? all of these roads with the same name, like oak st, oak ave, oak blv, oak place, i dont get it. zook road or zook place? anyway in fear of cooking the motor, i decided to stop the wagon and use my car to find the place first. yeah i was driving, but only on a county road after the car was acting up, 3 miles form our destination. so shoot me why dont you. anyway, in an act of frustration, i see a farmer lane and ABRUPTLY lay on the brake and cut the wheel, sliding sideways to a stop. just then here comes a trashwagon with the front wheel s locked up, plowing into the rear quarter. DONT LOCK THE BRAKES, he could have steered around. oh well, what do you expect. im not mad. minimal damage, a busted headlight(that tow hook wrapped up there) and a broken taillight, and *light* damage just on the corner of the bumper.

so we got the wagon to subiemech's safe and sound otherwise. we got in subiemech's ride to go after the sedan. a battery and a fuel pump later i attemted to start her. after some long cranking she finally lit up. the carb is junk from sitting. i got it to warm up and would you knbow it, we had a fire. matt runs off like he thought it was going to blow up. i said that only happens in hollywood. this is iowa. we had to push the car and 3-point turn to get close to a hose, after the fire extinguisher was inoperable. so we had to leave it there. subiemech is going to take delivery to his place with a tow dolly.

we are going home, the guys are fixing my headlight right now. one day i will be back, with a turbo, and hell, trashwagon 5's motor for the sedan. i already have a 2wd 5spd flywheel modified to fit an ea82, so that will get it back home.

was it a wasted effort? well, at least both vehicles are secure, and now we know what they will need to drive back to indiana. see iowa another day...

Y'all smashed my turbo wagon?! Aw, hell! So, what do you guys think? $200 worth of Subarus or what?

Glad to hear all was extricated. I'm gonna hit up the local yards for subaru parts for you guys as soon as the semester is done. Picked up a 250GB external hard drive the other day so progress is beginning on the movie.

-Tim Hansen

we got home in one piece at 10:30 this morning. trashwagon has a bent tierod and its tearing up a tire. multiple off the side of the road adjustments didnt help much, how can you eyeball an alignment?

matt has a warrant, and is hiding in the apartment like he doesnt know what to do. hopefully i dont have one myself. but it wouldnt surprise me if my public pretender fails me. oh well, nothing out of the ordinary.

at any rate, we had more fun the way it all went down, more fun than if everything went right.

im going to take a nap:burnout:

Tim, it turns out that the PD got my message, and now i am re-scheduled for june 21. matt got picked up off the street by officer duhammel no sooner than he came outside, he was going to turn himself in today.

all is good, i worked with eli 10 hours today. i am seriously considering moving to fort wayne with zanny dook if i get hired on at this cleaning place. but i still intend to keep my operations at the carbola.

although i like it at mo-dub, i need a more consistent environment if i want more than just a half put together subaru.

i hope everyone made the best of their experiences this week.

oh, yeah, tim, we owe mister starry 100 bucks, 50 towards the car, and 50 fopr the tilte work. i will try to rack up my hours while theyre available.

shawn, sorry to say but zanny dook forgot the sweater in the white ford truck, the one that pulled out the legacy. you got one of their numbers...

any word on the sedan from desmoines?

tom, one of your vice grips was left in subiemech's car. it may have gotten mixed in my tools. i will have to go through them. anyway in case you noticed you didnt have it....

kurt, if there is anything we owe towards the cabin let me know. it may be a while, but i will see what i can come up with for you, vicky, and mr starry. i have a jop opportunity available and i am going to jump on it like stink on rice. currently i am working any available hour on my boss's house. i did however manage to make it back home with 15 bucks left. gas was pushing 2 bucks our last fill-up.

kurt pulled a lot of weight in the recovery effort, i just want that to be acknowledged. junkie, i might not be thge "sharpest pencil" but no one else would have fixed a ball joint and an axle off the side of the road and drive with a suspended license for 2 hours after. and if it was broken and undriveable, i would have stayed with it and got it to a secure location.

sorry tom for not calling you, but its like me to show up out of the blue. i would not have driven it if i didnt trust my repair. if the axle was broken or missing parts, 4wd would have got it back the same. subarus are a lot tougher and more reliable when broken than people give them credit for, or are trusting to drive them like that for that matter.

broken axle, 4wd and bent trailing arm all winter long, and 2wd diff lock across country. used timing belts all the way! it has been done, no question avout it!

Miles can you and Zanny arrange to get the sweatshirt back? Having them stick it in Chef Tim's hatch would work as I need to get my prybar somehow too. Otherwise you could have them ship it back to my house 419A 5th St Coralville IA 52241.

Another $50? Hey, man, that's not cool. Deal was $200 for 2 cars with good titles. I might have to put a call in to Mr. Starry. What's up with the paperwork? Do you have the titles in your posession?

Does Matt's incarceration get you off the hook, or was this for unrelated charges? Also, did you ever track down the newspaper articles from your "raid"? How are those drawings coming!? It's too late to work them into my class project but I still need them for the final film. I may also have you draw by hand the menu screens and titles for the movie; really give it that Miles Fox touch. I'm pretty set on "Catch This Fox" as the title, presently.

Best of luck with the new job opportunity. I may have just landed a new gig myself doing set construction and lighting repair for a company that supplies theatre lighting @ F/X...here's hoping. I need this job. I'm beyond broke.

Went through more of the footage today. I'm about 1/3 of the way through logging the tapes, which will make capturing a breeze, but we're still seriously behind. I have until May 11th to get a finished 10-minute segment done for portfolio review. It is going to be close, especially since I'm also wrangling a 16mm project from hell. I have to shoot two more rolls on Saturday. One plus; a guy says he can get me Mike Schank of American Movie fame as an extra in my 16mm film.

How badly did you guys crack up my turbo wagon? Any sheetmetal damage or is it just superfluous stuff?