Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Snow chain recommendations for 2014 Outback

I have a new 2014 Outback (4 cylinder).  Assuming it starts (see my other posts for the source of the pessimism!), I'd like to start driving it into our local San Bernardino mountains this weekend. 

What sort of snow chains/cables should I be getting, if any?  For those unfamiliar with San Bernardino, most of the time, there is no need for any chains.  If it does snow, the police/highway worker on duty has a lot of leeway to make rules up on the fly (which is reasonable, given how conditions change).  I've never paid attention to what they say to all wheel drive vehicles.  Back when I had my Isuzu Trooper (4wheel drive), I'd hear them say, "No need for any chains if you have 4 wheel", or "You must have chains, but no need to put them on if you have 4 wheel.  Just have them with you".  And very occasionally, "You must put the chains on even if you have 4 wheel drive."   In my limited experience, the 4 wheel drive (on the Trooper) does not help that much, especially in icy conditions.  I was able to spin the vehicle in 4 wheel drive!  Perhaps it helps starting up. 

So, any recommendations for chains/cables for the Outback?  Again, it's nice to have something with you because if you get up there and have one of those rare conditions where "you must put on chains" you will pay an arm and a leg for something that doesn't fit right and messes up the car.

Thanks,

Dave

You are going to have to decide if you want actual chains or a cable chain for your vehicle, there are pros and cons to both types.  But for just driving on icy or slick pavement the cable chains may do you  Most radial tire manufactures recomemnd the cable chain for them to keep the chain from cutting into the sidewalls.  The key to either is  to get the ones that fit your tires.  Then there are the tensioners.  I hate the spring type, they break and come loose when least expected.  On my truck I use rubber bungie cords.  I get ones that are long enough to hook onto the chain and then loop around the chain and back down so that when I am done it looks like a V.  I put two per tire on.  You wiil also have to deal with a loose end of a cable or chain, for this I just use a piece of tie wire to hold it against the tire so that it doesn't flip around.

One thing that you will want to do is to put them on your car when it is nice and dry and you can see what you are doing.  Then check the clearances around the tire, chain, and wheel well.  Look on the inside and see if there is anything that the chain could hook or grab as it goes around and tear up such as the brake lines.  You don't want to find this out as you are driving down a road in the middle of nowhere.  You will also have to decide if you want one or two sets of them.  Once you have them on when you are in the hills drive slow, they are designed to get you to where you are going not to race along at a higher speed. 

If you can't find anything locally check out Tire Chain.Com 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for the replies.  I don't know if folks are still monitoring this topic, but for what it is worth, I'm still confused... 

Regardless of whether or not folks thing chains/cables are a good idea, the fact is that in California, the CHP demands that you carry them in certain conditions even if you have 4WD or all wheel drive.  They have even asked to see them (in my Isuzu Trooper).  Occasionally they demand you put them on (so I am told.  Hasn't happened to me, but I don't get out much :) ).

The 2014 Outback manual says.... "Tire chains cannot be used on your vehicle because of the lack of clearance between the tires and vehicle body".    BUT, it then goes on to say,

"When tire chains cannot be used, use of another type of traction device (such as spring chains) may be acceptable if use on your vehicle is recommended by the device manufacturer...."

So, what am I supposed to use?  Elsewhere, I saw "Super Z" cables recommended.  Are those "spring chains"?  What do folks here recommend? 

Also, I find it hard to believe the advice I've read elsewhere that says, "They aren't needed on a Subaru".  I know from my Isuzu Trooper they help.  Just because you have power to all 4 wheels doesn't help if there is no traction between the wheels and the road (due to ice).  Thoughts?

Thanks,

Dave

P.S.  I should also say that while studded snow tires might be a great idea for folks who actually live in the mountains, it is not very practical for weekend warriors that are just occasionally traveling into snow.

Edited by bibsoconner

• 4 weeks later...

There are two basic factors regarding traction in the snow, all wheels/tires turning (not just one spinning while all the others don't) and the road surface.  Subaru is the only AWD type vehicle that has true positraction on all four wheels, other than larger 4WD vehicles like Jeep and Isuzu Trooper (there are others).  But, if you are on ice, it doesn't matter how many wheels are turning if the road surface is slick; you will not get traction, especially going up hill, UNLESS your tires can "dig in" to actually grab the road surface.  Snow tires have little spikes or nubs that will break the surface of ice.  Chains do the same thing, hence the benefit chains provide when you don't have snow tires. 

It is true that most SKILLED Subaru drivers can go most everywhere without ever having to use chains, there are always those special circumstances then you can't move in the direct you want due to the specific conditions of the road surface.

I carry chains in my Trooper and have used them, and they helped.  The same is true for the Subaru (I just have to find the right ones to fit).

My wife drove our 2013 OB in the snow for the first time yesterday.  There was about 6 inches of snow on the driveway when she got home in Grass Valley, CA.  It did not slip sideways once where here 2000 Volvo AWD would when making the turn from the street into the very long driveway.  And when she turned the the Subaru around to back into the garage, it did not slip and slide like the Volvo used to do, so she is a happy camper. 

• Like 1

Here in Vermont, we get snow and ice. We're in it six months of the year. We all have winter tires for this reason. I can't count how many times EACH SEASON I drive home literally plowing snow with my front bumper. Never used tire chains on any of my Subies. I've also never seen tire chains on any of the Subies in my area. (And trust me, just about every third vehicle you see on the road up here IS a Subie.) It's practically the State Car. Also, there is no place around here that we are REQUIRED to have chains available to enter.

I understand that geographically, we are different. I suspect that winter tires simply aren't that common in your area, because they're generally not needed, hence, Public Safety folks need to ENSURE that a motorist is equipped in certain areas. If you show up driving on a set of Cooper Weathermaster S/T2 's (Studded), there's a good chance that after they figure out what the hell those are, they'll say you're okay lol. Yes, it's probably not practical for you to go to a junkyard and get a spare set of rims, order these tires and just keep them mounted on there, and change over in your driveway when you're headed to the hills, but you'd probably be fine.

That all said, davidlm1954 is on point about the AWD system in these cars. It is VERY different from traditional 4x4 systems. I notice a difference even in my old Loyale, which is four-wheel-drive, not all-wheel-drive.

All that aside, I've seen two types of cable chains: One that is just a cable system that runs over and around the tire, like a traditional tire chain would, and another type that has small coil springs that surround/wrap around the sections of cable that run across the tread area. The latter kind tends to "bite" a little bit more in deeper snow, but doesn't have much more effect than the plain ones do on clean ice. If clearance is suspected to be an issue, go with the former "plain" cable chains. I cannot speak of specific brands, but as long as they are approved for your vehicle/tire size, you should be fine.

• Like 1

That last post is great - get the plain cable chains approved for your tire size/vehicle and the authorities are appeased and you've got something to try. I've pulled over to help helpless souls put their chains on and been stumped, leaving them on the side of the road once my extremities start to go numb.

Tires are enormously important and that's why "4WD and 2wd" are nearly meaningless until you talk tires, those are what actually touches the road (or ice!)

FWD = 1 wheel driven (one front wheel spins if the car gets stuck)

4WD = 2 wheels driven  (one front and one rear wheel spins if the car gets stuck)

4WD with rear locking differential = 3 wheel driven

VDC and traction control can vary power distribution

• Like 1