Ultimate Subaru Message Board

What's New - Imprezza vs Crosstrek

Lightning McQueen

We currently drive a big SUV (Buick Enclave) which we like and will keep but, at 15 MPG combined, also want a "Shuttlecraft" we can bip around town in but can also take skiing.  We want something easy to take up a parking garage ramp or on a trip to snow country.  The Forrester doesn't downsize enough.  The Mini Cooper AWD is too small, too expensive, and too unreliable. I know Honda is coming out with an SUV version of the newly designed FIT but not till next year. It seems Subaru is the only choice out there.  We are trying to decide between a Crosstrek and Imprezza and a 2013 vs 2014.   I am interested why you Crosstrek owners chose what is essentially a jacked up and more expensive and slightly worse gas mileage version of the Imprezza. 

Also I would like to comment on the new Hybrid.  I have done the math. You would need to drive the vehicle 200,000 miles to recover the extra cost via gas savings and by then the extra maintenance and battery replacement would still leave you in the hole.  But here is what most people are not getting.  Virually every reviewer says the Imprezza and Crosstrek and underpowered BUT the electric motor assist on the Hyrid apparently is just enough to overcome that complaint.  So what you are really buying is a more powerful engine and no loss (an actually a tiny gain) in MPG.

With respect to the 2014 Crosstrek, Subaru also addressed other complaints.  They improved the handling and suspension and added a bunch of soundproofing; road and engine noise being the second most common reviewer complaint (after power).  Since the Crosstrek and Impreza are almost twins, I wanted to know if they made any simliar changes to the Impreza for 2014.  There is nothing on their websites and even when I called Subaru they did not know. 

Any help is this decision would be appreciated.  Impreza Limted 2013, Impreza Limted 2014, Crosstrek 2013, Crosstrek 2014, Crosstrek Hybrid 2014?  Please weigh in.

Thanks

I test drove both the impreza and the crosstrek, drove the five speed and the cvt of each.  I drove them on the highway and drove them like I stole them.  I tried real hard to beat the traction control around highway on/off ramps with both.  We concluded they held corners the same.  The crosstrek seemed faster in a straight line.  Turns out the imp has 4.11 for a final gear, the crosstrek has 4.44.

Both seemed grossly underpowered in the 5 speed form.  Slamming gears one to the next was impossible, the cars would choke and stutter, not near enough power to hold rpms.  

After 5k miles with the cvt xv, I am used to the "lack of power".  Which really isn't for the gas mileageit gets.  And after a few little light to light dashes against various other cars, it holds its own.   "Whoohoo, paddle shifter time!!"  If you wanna pass at 60, a gentle stab will get that thing up to 80-90 no problem. I'm betting it would beat my old 2.2 impreza sedan 5 speed in a 1/4 mile.  But I didn't buy it for the speed or lack of.  I bought it for the leg room and I bought an XV cuz it's higher off the ground.  I like it tall cuz I play in the snow with the family when I can.  Low cars suck in the snow.  Plus it looks way more baddass than an impreza when they're parked next to eachother.

Handling?   I also have a 2000 RS impreza.  I take one on ramp on the way home at 60 and let the car coast, this is close to the limit of it not sliding sideways.  I can do the same corner in the xv at the same speed with no worries.

I love the car, and would buy another.

• Like 1