Ultimate Subaru Message Board

1998 outback flashing lights

So I bought a couple of outbacks, a 1997 automatic with 338k and a 1998 standard with 165k and a blown head gasket. We fixed up the auto, sold it, and now I just finished the head job on the 1998, fired it up, took it for a run, and noticed the running lights are flashing. A mechanic friend says it might be an issue with the security system. We don't have a key fob for it, and I don't know anything about automobile security systems. Help!

Hey Lichen,

I'm pretty sure you can deactivate the security system by rapidly turning the key in the ignition to the Acc position BUT NOT STARTING THE CAR then all the way off I believe it is 3 or 5 times...the horn will beep when it is disabled.  If you have the owners manual I believe it is in there...Sorry I can't be more specific it's been a long time since I had to do it.

Joe

Okay, I tried the key-turning sequence, to no avail...but then I disconnected the battery, waited a minute, turned the key to the ON position, reconnected the negative cable, and voila! Success! Thanks so much, I was at a loss.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...