Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Oh snap! (ring circlip is stuck in my diff)

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 PAJ

PAJ

New User

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts
  • Phila pa

Posted 01 November 2013 - 09:46 PM

How the heck do you get a stranded axle circlip outa the diffirential?

I had a bad rear bearing on my 99 OBW and had to pull both the knuckle and axle that were rusted and going to be just inseperable without the patented puller. The axle didn't look so great anyway so I got a nice U-Pull it replacement for both and thought it was going to be a breeze, especially after fighting with that rear control arm bolt. Not. After it wouldn't go in nicely and then trying more muscle and a few whacks with the persuader I cooled off before I damaged anything (hopefully) and did my homework. Seems that the old snap ring is stuck in place the diff and beyond my reach. I'd like to avoid popping it into the differential so how pray tell do I fish it out?

thankz.

#2 Gloyale

Gloyale

It's a sickness

• Members
  • 9,048 posts
  • Corvallis, OR PNW

Posted 01 November 2013 - 10:00 PM

Do you have the axle out yet?

#3 Fairtax4me

Fairtax4me

Su bah roo'n

• Gold Subscribers
  • 8,657 posts
  • Charlottesburg, VA

Posted 01 November 2013 - 10:08 PM

Is the old snap ring not still on the end of the old axle?
They don't fit into any groove in the side gear. It slips all the way past the gear then expands to hold the axle. If it did fall off inside the diff, it fell in the middle of the carrier between the side gears. So if you rotate the diff, it should fall out of the bottom of the carrier and to the case bottom. I don't think this is what's keeping your "new" axle from going in.

#4 PAJ

PAJ

New User

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts
  • Phila pa

Posted 02 November 2013 - 06:32 AM

The old one popped out nicely but without the ring.

The U-pull it one still had the ring attached.

Uh-oh, don't tell me this is going to be one of those "they changed the diameter of the shaft or # of grooves in mid-1999" type of discussions...

I've got to do some serious measuring and comparing.

#5 PAJ

PAJ

New User

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts
  • Phila pa

Posted 02 November 2013 - 08:32 PM

Well I compared the two business ends and it seems I didn't learn nuthin from Sesame Street cauz "one of these things is not like the other".  One old one has 24 splines and the other has 22 and looks nuthin like the original. Crap.

Back to the drawing board.

Tried to fish the snap ring out with a hook but it does seem to be in a groove at the end of the gear and wants to stay there. i'll try to ease the replacment shaft in (once I get one) and engage it.

I wonder if I can pull the CV joint apart and swap the ends.....

#6 Bushwick

Bushwick

Eat, Live, Breath Subaru

• Members
  • 315 posts
  • Ohio Akronish

Posted 02 November 2013 - 09:42 PM

I'd take it back to where you got it and say they told you it was compatible but it wasn't, and ask for an exchange. Other option might be swapping the carrier over and putting your ring gear on it, just make sure any spacers are installed EXACTLY the same so as to have a proper engagement between the ring and pinion. I had my 95' cover off and these things are extremely simplistic.

#7 Fairtax4me

Fairtax4me

Su bah roo'n

• Gold Subscribers
  • 8,657 posts
  • Charlottesburg, VA

Posted 02 November 2013 - 10:22 PM

Wrong part, take it back and get the correct one.
If the ring won't come out and is indeed held in a groove then you should be able to pop the "new" axle in without a snap-ring and the old ring should clip around the axle.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users