Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Trooparu

T-case Big lift Front Diff Transfer case Frankenstein EJ22 EA82 EA81

• Please log in to reply
120 replies to this topic

#51 Gloyale

Gloyale

It's a sickness

• Members
  • 9,400 posts
  • Corvallis, OR PNW

Posted 17 November 2013 - 01:00 PM

Make sure to use better tires than he did, I have it on video failing pretty miserably with the Thornbirds.  

And so you know.  The guy who owned this complained about complete lack of visibility.  

Doesn't look like he air them down much! lol

Yeah.....visibility has been considered.

A few ideas to address that.

1) The forward rake of the body......I want it to have the rump roast in the air and nose pointed down. 

2) 3" spacer under the seats, seats forward and higher than stock location. (stock seat spacers from the trooper bolt right up to EA81 seats)

3) No windshield..........and likely no roof for that matter.   The top will be a roll cage (gonna get some help fabbing this part Pro-Style, Safety First)....so I can sit more upright and not hit the top of windshield frame.  It doesn't really have a roof as it is, since the large sunroof that is basically the whole top blew away while towing (I wasn't part of that towing, for the record)

4)  There will be no trunk, and the very rear panel will be chopped down an bit turning the trunk into a mini truck bed/spare tire storage (think trophy truck)

5)  Half doors with Amo can armrests.

And with all that said......it's unlike to ever see snow.  This will be a 3 season wheeler considering it's basically gonna be an open buggy.

Edited by Gloyale, 22 November 2013 - 08:59 PM.

#52 Gloyale

Gloyale

It's a sickness

• Members
  • 9,400 posts
  • Corvallis, OR PNW

Posted 17 November 2013 - 04:55 PM

Okay......so it may or may not come out as cool as this...... (probaly not)

XT6lifted-1.jpg

Just curious.....was this thing Subie powered?

Edited by Gloyale, 17 November 2013 - 05:00 PM.

#53 Gloyale

Gloyale

It's a sickness

• Members
  • 9,400 posts
  • Corvallis, OR PNW

Posted 22 November 2013 - 08:57 PM

Well, it's officially a 4 wheeled chassis.  The wheelbase is set.  100-1/2"

The stock XT wheelbase is 97",

Body will mount with with the front wheels 2-1/2" forward of the stock centerline.  Leaving the rear 1" back from stock.

It was too dark when I finished today to take pics.  I'll try to get them tommorow.

#54 Gloyale

Gloyale

It's a sickness

• Members
  • 9,400 posts
  • Corvallis, OR PNW

Posted 25 November 2013 - 08:12 PM

Major steps towards mounting the body this weekend.

Sunday I worked on getting the body into position on some pillars to roll the subframe underneath.  This also accomplishes getting the trailer cleared off to haul the frame over.  My buddy was gracious engouh to let me do this in his nice, flat, paved driveway......rather than my slanted gravel mess at my house.

So with the body perched 40" in the air, I gotta get the frame/drivetrain fisished up enough to install under the body.

Today's job......Final mounting of transfer case.  Re-used one of the nissan mounts and 2 cut pieces of a Legacy rear diff mount to mount it.  I made it to be easily removable, and with the one short mount in front, and 2 long in the rear.......the rear frame can twist a bit and the long arms and rubber bushings of the legecy mounts will allow alot of flex.

Last thing today, I mapped out the reinforcement plates for the front/rear junction....First, cut out of cardboard.

Then traced out on a piece of 3/8ths plate.  Cuts and welds to come tommorrow.  Then final slag removal end painting.....a final and full bolt installation, and the frame will be ready to mount under the body.

The fun contiinues.......

#55 Gloyale

Gloyale

It's a sickness

• Members
  • 9,400 posts
  • Corvallis, OR PNW

Posted 26 November 2013 - 08:35 PM

Engine crossmember fitted in permanent location and 90% finished.

Weirdo piece of the old trooper body mounts that made a nice temporary holder for the steering column so it can be moved around for the time being.

#56 Gloyale

Gloyale

It's a sickness

• Members
  • 9,400 posts
  • Corvallis, OR PNW

Posted 28 November 2013 - 12:47 PM

Well, after being able to roll it around some I found the steering rack was not in the right place.  Toe was correct straight ahead but as you turned the wheel, the toe would go WAAAAY inward.  Not good.

A look up under my buddy's stock 86 Trooper Diesel revealed that the stock draglink/centerlink moved in a location further up, and back from where I mounted the rack.  This centerlink location is where I really need to place the steering rack to keep the stock Geometry.

The post above pic shows how the steering was, in relation to the diff mount/mustache bar.

And here is how it is now.  Had to notch the channel the rack is mounted in.  And relocate the mustache bar above the rack.

Here was the other issue that's fixed now.  The frame rail curve was forcing me to mount the rack lower than I wanted whilst in the first position.  Moving it back placed it JUST inside the curve so I could get it higher up, perhaps a 1/2" or less forward of the stock location.

.I think it will be good enough seeing as this thing will never see pavement......I dunno.....gotta hook it up behind a cart and pull it around the lot to test the steering a bit more maybe.

Also, here is the rear diff mount plate.  Recyled piece of Rubicon transfercase plate, and the outer end of the stock trooper crossmember.

A bit ugly but tough as heck.  Tried heating this jeep plate to bend and it would not budge, cherry red hot.....it's strong steel for the thickness.  I like how it sticks out to the sides some and gaurds the Inner axle cups a bit.

#57 Gloyale

Gloyale

It's a sickness

• Members
  • 9,400 posts
  • Corvallis, OR PNW

Posted 04 December 2013 - 01:31 PM

Hmmmmm.......Just found this and it got me thinking.

http://i189.photobuc...ftheXTTurbo.jpg

#58 Gloyale

Gloyale

It's a sickness

• Members
  • 9,400 posts
  • Corvallis, OR PNW

Posted 09 December 2013 - 05:19 PM

Progress has been slowed by the unussually fridgid temps here lately.

I did manange to get the trans crossmember mounting finished up.  so the whole drivetrain mounts are in place.  Once the body goes on, the engine and trans can go in.

Progress was slowed somewhat by this.  It's very unusual for this area.  And it's all still here 4 days later.  It's been welllllllll below freezing for a week straight.

My boys standing on the pond.  Wonder if I could drive the Subie on it??

#59 Adam N.D.J.

Adam N.D.J.

Quite Rusty, but working.

• Members
  • 3,290 posts
  • Medford, Oregon

Posted 09 December 2013 - 08:21 PM

LoL, Great work.  My progress has hit the same snag as yours (I'm just down the 5 in Medford, we got up to 22° today). Can't wait to see more, this should be one heck of a wheeler!

#60 Gloyale

Gloyale

It's a sickness

• Members
  • 9,400 posts
  • Corvallis, OR PNW

Posted 05 January 2014 - 01:34 PM

Alright......Back to work on this Be-atch

Nothing too exciting.  Finally got the frame on the trailer, and towed it over to my buddy's house to use the big D/C Generator welder to do this:

He's also got the nice air "needle" power slag remval tool....so I took the chance to clean up alot of the slag before painting.

Finally ready to mount the body!!!

#61 monstaru

monstaru

wow, relevance....

• Members
  • 4,416 posts
  • OlyWa

Posted 05 January 2014 - 02:05 PM

WELL THEN< MOUNT THE BEATCH!!!! LOL

can't wait to see this.....

#62 Gloyale

Gloyale

It's a sickness

• Members
  • 9,400 posts
  • Corvallis, OR PNW

Posted 28 January 2014 - 12:27 PM

WELL THEN< MOUNT THE BEATCH!!!! LOL

can't wait to see this.....

Request Granted.

Front view.......narrow offset Nissan rims used for rolling it under the body between the logs.  lol.. The wheels for it will be wider offset and not look so stupid.  Camber should settle out once the weight of the engine is in and it's on 33's

It fit perfect on the mounts I made.  Still needs alot of work

Engine, Trans, Drivelines, Brakes.....and that's after I actually fully finish attaching the body.  But this thing WILL be moshin' the pit by April.  Game back on.

#63 Uberoo

Uberoo

Subaru Wheeler

• Members
  • 3,426 posts
  • lewiston,ID

Posted 28 January 2014 - 06:51 PM

is the frame gonna get moved backwards a bit?It looks all sorts of wrong.

#64 Gloyale

Gloyale

It's a sickness

• Members
  • 9,400 posts
  • Corvallis, OR PNW

Posted 28 January 2014 - 08:44 PM

is the frame gonna get moved backwards a bit?It looks all sorts of wrong.

It needs to be shoved about 1 inch back from where it sits to meet the mounts I've made, but mostly that's the way it will sit. The front wheels are intentionally waaay forward of stock.  Front fenders will get trimmed out and flared for clearance Baja style.

The rear wheel wells will get trimmed out for the wheel clearance.  But not much....remember the rear wheels travel backwards in their arc when compressed.

The body behind the rear wheel will get chopped out for departure angle.

#65 ezapar

ezapar

[OWB]

• 27,130 posts
  • Seattle

Posted 04 March 2014 - 12:25 PM

So uh. . . Any progress? poke poke

Something to look forward to.
http://www.ultimates...569757_3680.jpg

#66 Gloyale

Gloyale

It's a sickness

• Members
  • 9,400 posts
  • Corvallis, OR PNW

Posted 04 March 2014 - 01:11 PM

I got a set of 33" BFGs for it mounted up on wheels. :D   they're ATs though :unsure:

But they will work for set up of the final body mounts and wheel well treatment :Flame: :zzz: :drunk: :headbang: :brat:

Thanks for the inspiring pic

#67 RustyBrat

RustyBrat

Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 699 posts
  • Cascade Idaho

Posted 04 March 2014 - 01:34 PM

Just commenting to follow :)

#68 Gloyale

Gloyale

It's a sickness

• Members
  • 9,400 posts
  • Corvallis, OR PNW

Posted 09 March 2014 - 12:21 PM

Pics with tires

http--,,--//

#69 81EA81

81EA81

Eat, Live, Breath Subaru

• Members
  • 383 posts
  • Spokane,WA

Posted 09 March 2014 - 01:50 PM

Bravo sir! I admire your ability to think up something so custom, but still ACTUALLY build it!

I wish I had saved a pic I mocked up to the frame in Paint when you first unveiled the body. it was fairly accurate!

Keep up the good work, Good luck! 

Just commenting to follow  :)

Isn't there a follow button up top?

#70 RustyBrat

RustyBrat

Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 699 posts
  • Cascade Idaho

Posted 09 March 2014 - 01:57 PM

yeah, i see that now sorry. i do have a request for gloyale... if its not too much trouble, do you have any close up pics of the body mounts with the body attached? (contemplating future projects)

#71 Uberoo

Uberoo

Subaru Wheeler

• Members
  • 3,426 posts
  • lewiston,ID

Posted 09 March 2014 - 03:28 PM

While the idea is intriguing to me, and I want to see it finished.That is a hacked up piece of spoob. lol.

#72 Gloyale

Gloyale

It's a sickness

• Members
  • 9,400 posts
  • Corvallis, OR PNW

Posted 09 March 2014 - 11:00 PM

Body mount pics when the body is actually mounted.

We got good weather this week.....so should get to it.....then again......gotta pay bills before I fart around with this pile o'spoob madness.......so awesome when it's done though.....

#73 Gloyale

Gloyale

It's a sickness

• Members
  • 9,400 posts
  • Corvallis, OR PNW

Posted 13 March 2014 - 10:24 PM

Body moved forward.  And the first of the welded mounting points fixed.  It's not moving again without a grinder.

A few pics of the mounting blocks.  These will get more gussets later.

#74 monstaru

monstaru

wow, relevance....

• Members
  • 4,416 posts
  • OlyWa

Posted 13 March 2014 - 10:48 PM

more betterer! That alignment is gonna help you in the long run.
Can't wait to see it rollin.
When is that comp you are getting ready for?
cheers, me

#75 RustyBrat

RustyBrat

Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 699 posts
  • Cascade Idaho

Posted 13 March 2014 - 10:50 PM

SWEET! sorry to clutter here... but the coilovers i see hanging in the rear wheel wells in this picture... what ever happened to them? im interested in buying if the price is right...

IMG_0516_zps4e126cd9.jpg

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: T-case, Big lift, Front Diff, Transfer case, Frankenstein, EJ22, EA82, EA81

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users