Ultimate Subaru Message Board

• 3 weeks later...

Some more little things this last few weeks.

First...Engine and D/R 5spd installed w/ new clutch.  Fits nicely.  Don't let the Uppipe fool you......it's not going to be turbo'd...not with this engine anyhow......I just wanted the exhaust to not have to go under the engine.  It'll be a straight 2-1/4 pipe from there.

IMG_0953_zps6b487a71.jpg

IMG_0955_zpscb552553.jpg

IMG_0954_zps624996c3.jpg

A little bit more work on the rear end frame/slider/bumper/gas gaurd.  Tererible pics........Passenger side completed........this rail runs from the rear end all the way up to the block at the OE "K" bar mount

IMG_0972_zpseac7e441.jpg

IMG_0970_zpseea10274.jpg

these tie the frame/body/blocks and eventually the rear bumper into one unit. 

IMG_0973_zps79532e4c.jpg

IMG_0980_zps7232e16b.jpg

tight clearance on the pass side had to notch around the gas tank and vent lines.

IMG_0971_zpsb54a4d2e.jpg

Better views of what these rails actually do on the drivers side.....Since this is were the muffler would've been........this ones not welded in yet.

IMG_0974_zps7abd3c62.jpg

IMG_0982_zpsdec23a58.jpg

The hitch piece that will make the bottom of the bumper and the rear mount for the skid plate.....

IMG_0981_zps20de7e15.jpg

And on the interior front..........Reinstalled the XT turbo pedal box........I was gonna use a regular GL one but it doesn't clear the XT column mounts :(  bummer.....(I wanted the spring loaded turbo pedal for my DD GL....Guess it wasn't meant to be)  XT steering wheel will get a floating DigiDash mounted atop.......Just for S&Gs really since I will have aftermarket gauges for Fuel/Temp/Oil.  I guess I'll need the VSS.....

IMG_0979_zps94bb98f5.jpg

IMG_0976_zps67f37248.jpg

Reinstalled most of the wiring harness.........not sure how this happened.....BUT I CUT OUT THE FUSE BOX!!!!...........WHAT THE HELL!!!!      Why did I do that?????  I must have been smokin crack 3 years ago when I parted this thing out.......damn.......That's gonna be some soldering.....I guess I really only need to give power to 4 or 5 circuits......most of the rest is unneeded at this point lol.

IMG_0977_zps5658d104.jpg

I also mocked up the T-case w/ the body installed .......I though I was going to need to cut and extend the tunnel.....but I was able to fit it perfectly with only a bit of hammering on the drives side.......sadly it's right where the seat rail bolts in so Im gonna fab a Trooper seat frame base onto the floor.......no pics of that stuff yet.

Next on the list........Radiator support, Battery tray, and finish reassembling transfer case........

IMG_0943_zpsb6ec14aa.jpg

More work yesterday........unitl I ran out of wire in the MIG......dooh!!

Anyway........trimmed the rusty rotted Sunroof lip.........The velour window trim makes an excellent rubber edging to cover the cut edge.

IMG_0993_zps3400637e.jpg

Prepped the floor for the Isuzu Trooper seat base.....Once this is installed.....an EA81 seat or trooper seat will bolt right in.......Not sure which I'll use yet.

IMG_0995_zps8ee02062.jpg

Radiator mocked up......The original seat back tabs are going to make ecxellent radiator lower supports........Also found a Battery tray.....I might use it.

IMG_0992_zps69f0ec39.jpg

And more work on the rear end.  Got the all but the lower left rail inplace and welded in. 

Reinforced the drop portion of the diff mount/slider.

IMG_0990_zpsb97cd8ca.jpg

Trailer hitch/rear skid plate mount installed.  (old class II minivan hitch).  It's clear at this point I am not goin to bob the back end loke I had originally thought......I like the look of the complete car sitting up that high.  If all is correct the OE bumper will bolt back on over this......or I'll make something custom resembling the OE look.

IMG_0987_zpse6e8ca76.jpg

IMG_0988_zps4586a164.jpg

This is where I ran out of wire..

IMG_0989_zps8d249f9a.jpg

IMG_0986_zps46557b06.jpg

Edited by Gloyale
  • Like 1

Finished the rear shock mounts today.  Finally not bouncy.

IMG_1004_zps20e5016f.jpg

IMG_1003_zpsfda9d1e6.jpg

IMG_1002_zps2d73402d.jpg

And then started in on the Re-pinning of the 87 harness to match the 88+ engine loom.   1 pin stayed the same, and 6 others at least re-pinned in the same connector.  The rest will have to be cut/spliced into a matching 88 connector.

IMG_1012_zps5d5be70d.jpg

• Like 1

Reassmebled the transfer case today with all new bearings.

IMG_1030_zpse3b938bc.jpg

IMG_1031_zpsfaff8fc2.jpg

IMG_1029_zps68f938df.jpg

Godddangit this thing is tricky to get to this point.....took 3 tries to find the right order......the book has pics of sections but no start to finish rebassembly proceedure.

IMG_1032_zpscaf0d91f.jpg

The rear flange is larger than the subaru drivelines.........the other 2 are the same as subie.  So I redrilled this rear one, and I will swap it to the front output so if it's slighlty not centered it won't matter at 10 mph in 4wd.

IMG_1033_zpsf35dd31f.jpg

• Like 1

Dropped $100 on new Trooper balljoints and tierods, all 6 in total.  Also got some new seals for the transfer case hopefully they will be the right ones......it was a bitch to track down.

In my research I found these Nissan geared transfer cases a pretty cool......used in the Nissan Patrols in a "sideway" configuration for years.  Makes me think about

using one on it's side for the next project.

Dropped $100 on new Trooper balljoints and tierods, all 6 in total.  Also got some new seals for the transfer case hopefully they will be the right ones......it was a bitch to track down.

In my research I found these Nissan geared transfer cases a pretty cool......used in the Nissan Patrols in a "sideway" configuration for years.  Makes me think about

using one on it's side for the next project.

Make a new shifter lever and fill it full of oil and it will be perfect.In my hatch the T case was 1/2" from touching the seat rails I also clocked it so the shifter was right in the passenger seat, which is why my T case shifter was so stubby.

Make a new shifter lever and fill it full of oil and it will be perfect.In my hatch the T case was 1/2" from touching the seat rails I also clocked it so the shifter was right in the passenger seat, which is why my T case shifter was so stubby.

This one is gonna stay how it is......

But maybe someday if I T-case my wagon....I might clock it sideways........probably will oil better than upright.

It's oiling system is excactly like one of those "Lucas" hand crank displays that shows you the oil sling up the gears......that's why they are known for upper bearing problems......especially if they sit for long times and then get driven short amounts..........the top bearings go dry and then you have to drive over a few MPH to get the oil to really get up to the top. 

The vent hole at the top is directly behind the upper bearing.  I plan on running a tube out of the vent hole that comes into the cab.......And before each run I'm gonna pour a teaspoon of Gear oil down it into the upper bearing.

Went to the wreckers today to try to find brakes.......No luck.......at least not for 86 trooper.....I checked some 88's   but the knuckle and mountings changed in 87.....

I got an idea though.......

I found later troopers/rodeos/etc......use a larger 280mm rotor.....that bolts into the OE hub.....

2000ish Toyota Camry uses a Front caliper that shares mounting bolt spacing with the 86 trooper.......and is made to work with 275mm rotors......a difference of only 2.5mm at the edge of the rotor vs. 90's Isuzu............gonna try that.....

Mmmmmwwaaaahahahahaha........the maddness gets madder!!!

What are your plans for rear brakes?

I looked back 2 pages & noticed stock drum brakes. Just a suggestion, Isuzu Trooper rear discs with Sube 6 lug hubs & modded backing plate.

Or is this 'too soon for television' ?

Edited by czny

I think it's just a mock up.

Looks somewhat feasable.....

Although I don't know how that the "hat" of the disc will fit over the subaru Disc hub......and it woudl act as a wheel spacer if it did.

and then there is the issue of the backing plate......It would need to put the capliper much further outward horizonatally (closer to wheel) and radially (for bigger rotor)

Looks totally doable......I like the rear cable e-brake......just......not sure it's needed for this one...especially since I done have a set of disc hubs laying round.

Now my EA82 wagon w/ 4.11 AWD has got discs.......and dual E-brakes already on the front................hmmm...........If I converted to cable pull E-brake rears, and added 2 more handles somewhere...............I could have my own Fully Manual/Bio-Analog  X-mode!!!   THAT....would be useful.

Tangent complete

Edited by Gloyale

Yeah, it was just a mock-up. 91 Trooper rear brakes test fit inside 14" Mazda truck whls & it would be very close, but 15" whls are fine.

Likely would have to turn down the 6 lug hub to fit inside the rotor(but not much) & longer studs. Wheel 'spacer' only 12mm, per side.

Pad area is about twice that of the GL-10 pads. Piston bore is 42mm.

Edited by czny

Alright.......

Had to go to the PnP today to get a new steering rack.  The one on my DD is puking it's guts out at an alarming, and smoky rate.  As it seeps directly onto the exhaust.

Found an Excellent condition low miles rack from a 93 2wd Loyale sedan........Just what I was hoping to find......the 2wds don't get beat to piss the same way usually.

So while I was there i looked over in both the Isuzu and Nissan truck areas......Found some scores for sure.

2, 86 Trooper calipers, a direct bolt up for Cleo (as this prokect has become known)

1 Nissan early Pathfinder front driveline......An almost perfect flange mount for newer subaru "large" r160 diff flange

And a whole 96ish Isuzu Amigo front right Knuckle, Rotor, Caliper, and CV axle......<<<<For future mock up of larger front axles/knuckle/brake

Best part of all is that this junkyard is in the next town over, closer to were the "Moutain Top Mud Jam" happens.....And there was a flyer on the counter that said it's MUDDER FORKING HAPPENING!!!!!!    MAY 3-4 in Scio, OR......2 weeks to get ready........CRAP!!!!

And then after all that I got home to find my Tierods and Balljoints have arrived!!!  FREEKIN AWESOME!!!

• Like 1

Finally recieved the Nissan T-case seals from NissanPartsOnly.com.......Great resource......$15 bucks for 3 genuine seals.  Good to know for all the t-case crowd.

IMG_1047_zps198c7193.jpg

IMG_1049_zps7f6e6be8.jpg

Next on to the rear driveshaft.......Now, because I needed a bit more angle to this I had to go ahead and use the Large t-case flang on the Nissan at the rear.....I ended up needing to redrill it AGAIN....so now it's got 3 patterns....o well....It worked out great because of some common dimensions shared with it's Japanese cousins.  Here it is all tucked up into the chassis

IMG_1063_zps7abf3893.jpg

Isuzu Trooper Front Driveline and Nissan Pathfinder driveline.

IMG_1050_zpsd5751836.jpg

Cut and sleeved

IMG_1051_zpsd113de00.jpg

Welded.....Perfect.

IMG_1053_zps47207651.jpg

IMG_1055_zpsed87be06.jpg

Large style subaru rear diff flange, notched to accept Isuzu yoke.  Notice the different size to the inner centering ring.....smaller on the larger flange.  The centering ring matches the isuzu.....that's why I chose this one.....the notches aren't ideal...but they will work and the centering is done by the lip.

IMG_1052_zps512849d7.jpg

Now for the input shaft into the T-case.......I got lucky......Just so happens that this 76 Datsun 280Z driveline fit PERFECTLY.......I swear....I didn't plan this....but it happened........slides right into the subaru 5spd. and bolts to the Nissan T-case input.  JOY!

IMG_1062_zps30751fc2.jpg

IMG_1061_zps8be80f31.jpg

And a few other tidbits....

Removed the rear diff after driveline fitting.  It's got the cover off and draining into this old box.  Gonna weld up these for full Lincon Lockers!

IMG_1057_zps41ed8bc1.jpg

Front diff too  hehe

IMG_1058_zps4ee54d10.jpg

Had to remove the belly armour to get the front diff out....that's fine cause I gotta weld up some seems on it anyhow.

IMG_1059_zps14f3aa0c.jpg

And Finally the new Front suspension joints.......China.........ehh.....

IMG_1048_zps5af7a7f1.jpg

Edited by Gloyale

Moar work.......but moar setbacks.....

The T-case is fully "in"....but the tras needs to come back out.....at least a few inches out anyhow......

The D/R I used was in this car when it was crashed......P1010003.jpg

P1010005.jpg

Yo can see how far back the force transfered..........I think when the D/R shifter was twisted and shoved violently into the back of the case........it broke the shfit collar.....IDK....I gotta go pull it and find out......all I know is I put the T-case in hooked up a driveline and shifter but can't get the rear transfer of the D/R to fully engage.....it catches and then slips makes a grumble like synchros riding but not engaging.

I will post Pics of what I find tonight.

Pulled the cover on the rear of the trans without removing it from the car.....shoved the phone down the tunnel and shot this picture first try!

Unfortunately.....it's just as I thought....the landing that secures the output bearing is blown out from the crash..(see red car above).....

IMG_1075_zps9f5179c8.jpg

On the upside....I got alot else done.....Installed the new balljoints, tierods, and finished the hybrid axles w/ new grease and boots....along with installilng the calipers I got at the junkyard the other day.....just stock 86 trooper calipers to keep it simple.

IMG_1073_zps8879c401.jpg

IMG_1072_zps79915e20.jpg

Got the covers back on the diffs......Tapped for 1/4" pipe fitting for vent tube.....

IMG_1070_zpse34c477f.jpg

And a pic of the T-case shifter.....cut and shut a bit shorter than it was........still got to bend it a bit...

IMG_1064_zps9717b540.jpg

So....I pulled the Eng/Trans combo.........removed the rear output from trans..........Here's the damage..

IMG_1076_zpsc0998027.jpg

Pretty easy fix.....I just slapped another tail piece on.  I did weld up the 4wd shift collar.....and modified the selector so that only Hi/Lo can be selected....sorry no pics of that.

Got it all back in the rig......Drivelines hooked up center and front......still gotta get the rear diff and driveline in and then get it RUNNING!!!...Oh...yeah...brake lines might be needed too...lol

IMG_1077_zps0b1eb287.jpg

IMG_1081_zpsaf758513.jpg

IMG_1078_zps7821f6ed.jpg

IMG_1083_zpsa1744f6a.jpg

Jesus so much going on, Its like abstract art with 4 wheel drive bits ;-) keep it up!

Cheers R.

It really is more of a found object art sculpture with an kinetic offroad theme.

Everything I've needed up til very recently has be random parts lying round.........just recently started actually spending money to get the last parts. in order. 

Not sure I'll make the event this weekend........I hope to at least trailer her there and play.......Competition won't be possible :(  .......I will have to run the ol' EA81 wagon AKA "t-bone" in the event....or just watch....havent' decided.

But thanks for the encouragement......I definately will be bringing her up to a meet in WA this summer so hopefully the BoB will be there.