Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

5sp d/r disassembly - question

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 b88185

b88185

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts
  • Milwaukee

Posted 02 November 2013 - 02:18 PM

I'm taking apart a 5sp d/r tranny to reseal and then drop into my '86 GL wagon.  Got the rear housing off and now trying to split the forward halves.  Do I need to drive the pin out of the high/low selector shaft here in order to get them apart?  They're hung up on something but not sure what.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

#2 Crazyeights

Crazyeights

SubaRube Goldberg

• Gold Subscribers
  • 916 posts
  • PNW

Posted 02 November 2013 - 05:13 PM

Knock out the pin and pull that lever in the pic. The case won't split otherwise.

#3 el_freddo

el_freddo

Eat, Live, Breath Subaru

• Members
  • 515 posts
  • Lancefield, Vic, Aust.

Posted 04 November 2013 - 07:45 AM

Once you've got that pin out and the lever removed use a rubber mallet to gently tap one of the cases to help them separate ;)

Cheers

Bennie

#4 jono

jono

New User

• Members
  • 543 posts
  • Southern Hemisphere - AUS

Posted 04 November 2013 - 03:41 PM

and on assembly ...when does the shaft and pin go back in ? Should a dummy shaft be made up to fit loosely ?

#5 Gloyale

Gloyale

It's a sickness

• Members
  • 9,158 posts
  • Corvallis, OR PNW

Posted 05 November 2013 - 11:37 AM

and on assembly ...when does the shaft and pin go back in ? Should a dummy shaft be made up to fit loosely ?

After the case halves are bolted back toghether.

It's obvious once you open it up.

#6 b88185

b88185

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts
  • Milwaukee

Posted 10 November 2013 - 12:19 PM

Thanks guys, will have to give that a shot.

Had some trouble with the similar shifter shaft pin situation - got the pin out, parts are still corroded together.  Hopefully this one works a bit better.

#7 b88185

b88185

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts
  • Milwaukee

Posted 17 November 2013 - 03:08 PM

Trans is almost back together.  Working on getting all the rear case bits and pieces back in their correct spots.  Could anybody scan the page in the manual with this area in it?  Been working from an XT manual that does not have all the D/R detail.  Lots of little springs and balls here...

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

#8 Crazyeights

Crazyeights

SubaRube Goldberg

• Gold Subscribers
  • 916 posts
  • PNW

Posted 17 November 2013 - 11:21 PM

I'll see if I have the relevant manual pages for scanning. Meanwhile, this write up is hard to beat for taking a D/R apart. It was my bible the first time I went into one.

http://www.ultimates...uild-with-pics/

Edited by Crazyeights, 17 November 2013 - 11:25 PM.

#9 el_freddo

el_freddo

Eat, Live, Breath Subaru

• Members
  • 515 posts
  • Lancefield, Vic, Aust.

Posted 18 November 2013 - 06:40 AM

I must admit that I played with those little dedent balls and springs for sometime making sure I had it correct before I closed it all up and put it in the vehicle...  It's lots of fun to get it back together, there's a sequence but I can't remember it from memory.  It was good fun!

All the best with it.

Cheers

Bennie

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users