Ultimate Subaru Message Board

ej18 or 22?

I have a 93 loyale ea82 that has several gremlins that like to hide when I'm looking to fix them. I want to do an ej swap and can find a lot of 18's and no 22's. Like all engines bigger is more HP and torque most the time lower mpg. Atm I get about 13 mpg freeway (a gremlin) so ether engine should be an increase. Just looking for input on the topic. I know the ej engines are bullet proof and that's all I know about them. Thanks in advance.

EJ18s are great in the EA cars.

The harness in the first gen impreza is super easy strip down too.

By far the easiest harness cutdown because everything comes out as one harness no big SMJ joint and Ig. relay on the opposite side from ECU etc.like legacy.

you shouldn't see any mileage drop going to the EJ.  I would expect you get more mileage than the stock motors most of the time.  better engine design, higher hp in a lighter car, etc.  theres a lot to be said for less pedal due to more power.

they aren't really much bigger, just more efficient.  Thats how you produce both power and fuel economy so you can get both at the same time.

I would expect high 20's to low 30's in mpg once its fixed and assuming the gremlins are motor related.

I would expect high 20's to low 30's in mpg once its fixed and assuming the gremlins are motor related.

Hate to say it, but my GF's Loyale with a 94 EJ18 in it only gets about 26-27.....and that's unloaded hwy driving.

Mixed driving it's about 23

Heavily loaded on a trip to CA we only got 21ish.......loaded roof rack and lots of mountain passes.

Sadly.....I think the original EA82 probably did better.....But the engine was tired.....and well an EA82 so I wanted to upgade but I think the MPFI on the EJ18 is not as efficient as the old SPFI on the EA82.

This is what I was wondering too... what transmission are you using? an adapted EA82 box? or the matching EJ box?

I've been contemplating this swap as well and looking at the gear ratios, the ratios out of a 2nd gen Legacy match near perfect to the EA box gears.. but the gears were designed for the EA... I wonder what the EJ18 gears were in the impreza.. The peak HP and TQ on the EJ18 were nowhere near the same on the EA82,,,,

Hate to say it, but my GF's Loyale with a 94 EJ18 in it only gets about 26-27.....and that's unloaded hwy driving.

Mixed driving it's about 23

Heavily loaded on a trip to CA we only got 21ish.......loaded roof rack and lots of mountain passes.

Sadly.....I think the original EA82 probably did better.....But the engine was tired.....and well an EA82 so I wanted to upgade but I think the MPFI on the EJ18 is not as efficient as the old SPFI on the EA82.

Edited by 86 Wonder Wedge

it sounds like an EJ18 is perfectly fine for you, you don't seem to care too much.

I have a 93 loyale ea82 that has several gremlins that like to hide when I'm looking to fix them. I want to do an ej swap and can find a lot of 18's and no 22's. Like all engines bigger is more HP and torque most the time lower mpg. Atm I get about 13 mpg freeway (a gremlin) so ether engine should be an increase. Just looking for input on the topic. I know the ej engines are bullet proof and that's all I know about them. Thanks in advance.

how much does lack of power annoy you?  if it does, you like to play and drive hard, or it's a work car, carries lots of gear, towing, pulling mountain grades...the EJ22 will be worth thinking about.

otherwise go for the EJ18, great motors, i installed one in my heavy legacy and it's fine for me.  it's gutless and the mountains kill it but it was cheap, easy to find, and it's been 70,000 miles of zero maintenance.  if i had to do it again i might go EJ22 if it was easy only because of the mountains and often carrying 4+ people.  i can't run 16" rims with stock subaru tires, if i'm fully loaded with 4 or 5 people on those tall tires i can't maintain highway speeds up steep mountain grades.  this car has been on multiple 2,000+ road trips with like 4 or 5 people and gear in it. but that's all in a heavier legacy too - about 500+ pounds heavier than yours....with all those people and gear - so nearly 1,000 pounds difference.

in flat land it doesn't matter at all.

Edited by grossgary

This is what I was wondering too... what transmission are you using? an adapted EA82 box? or the matching EJ box?

I've been contemplating this swap as well and looking at the gear ratios, the ratios out of a 2nd gen Legacy match near perfect to the EA box gears.. but the gears were designed for the EA... I wonder what the EJ18 gears were in the impreza.. The peak HP and TQ on the EJ18 were nowhere near the same on the EA82,,,,

Stock EA82 Single range 4wd  (hybrid into EJ case.....so no adapter plate, EJ clutch).  Tires are slightly over stock 185/70/14"

Now one thing to consider in my case is that particular EJ18 sat in a wrecking yard for 4+ years.  Smashed front right corner, so it was running when it was wrecked.....and runs good still.....but I wonder if a cylinder or 2 has some scratches/low compression/or weepy vavles.  Another EJ18 might do better.