Ultimate Subaru Message Board

98 outback NEEDS new tires?????

I have a 1998 subaru outback / limited legacy. I just took it to get a state inspection (PA) and I need to buy 4 new tires for it.. I was hoping to wait till the end of the summer but I have no choice.. I bought it used a year ago and it currently has a nice set of michelin tires on it…

Does anyone recommend a decent tire to put on that’s not going to cost me a fortune... I defiantly do not want to put a set of cheap knock offs on it…

Any suggestions would be great!!!

THANKS

What is your criteria?

Do you use winter tires? Ride comfort? Wet grip? Dry handling? Long life? Etc.

I had good luck with a set of Michelin X-Ones on my 97 OB. I'm hearing good reports on the Hydroedge that has replaced it. Personally, I'm not keen on a directional tire as I like to move the tires around to all corners to get the longest possible life. Still, I think I will give the Hydroedge a good hard look when I need new tires this coming winter.

I don't know if it fits in terms of a price that you are willing to pay.

Commuter

That doesnt sound good to me... Having a state inspector say you NEED 4 new tires... That means they must be in pretty bad shape.

But I must re-itterate a fact of the automobile world:

Tires are THE most important thing between you and the pavement!!!

Dont skimp on tires, always keep a good eye on them (tire pressures, wear patterns, alignment, lugnuts, etc.) dont ignore them and dont wait to get them replaced. Many, many drivers had ended up on the wrong side of a telephone poll, curbing, or back end of another car as the result of bad tires...

*end rant*

I personally don't have a tire recomendation but I will say that once you find what you want see if you can get a better price @tirerack.com

I got a banging deal from them on some tires of my old forester and I had them the next day.... Being that you are in the SE of PA you could have yours too if you call first thing in the morning and this is still using their cheap shipping method.

If your garage man can't/won't mount them for you the people at tirerack will tell you who around you will.

Good luck,

Matt

Sumitoma Sirexon 4 seriously!!! they are great. and inexpensive. they are H speed rated, and have a 40-60K mile warranty. they are all weather and drive really well. they have a very slight noise when cornering sharply because of the outer block tread design but ti is hardly noticeable. I have tried to get them to squeel and have failed on my '00 OBS.

Tirerack.com is the best place to check on tires. i think these are on sale on there right now too. I got mine at Sears Auto for $66 a pop with mounting and balancing.

Oh and the tred looks pretty cool too.