Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Need help to locate the trailer wiring connector...

2001 ll bean vdc outback

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 unverviking

unverviking

Eat, Live, Breath Subaru

• Members
  • 289 posts
  • Spencerport, NY

Posted 03 November 2013 - 07:35 PM

I bought a plug in converter for trailer wiring, the directions say that it is on the left side, from the rear, I pulled everything apart on that side (drivers) and located the wires going to the back, but not the plug that I need to plug in to.  I felt along the entire length in the cargo area, no luck.  I also followed over to the right side and didn't see anything on that path.  I did not pull anything on the right side to look.   The only good I got out of it, was I found a little green wire that goes to the antenna box (by clarion) for the window antenna has the sheathing frayed, so I have to tape it off, so it doesn't rub anymore off... 

Anyone have any knowledge on where this thing is ???  Please and thank you in advance.  

#2 Junkie

Junkie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts
  • San Luis Obispo, CA

Posted 04 November 2013 - 01:21 AM

I don't know that it matters, but what year?

#3 J A Blazer

J A Blazer

Eat, Live, Breath Subaru

• Members
  • 365 posts
  • Fairfax, Virginia

Posted 04 November 2013 - 06:48 AM

I recall that when I installed a trailer wire harness connector to my 2000 OBW the directions (perhaps on eTrailer?) were wrong; they said to look on the driver's side but I found it on the passenger's.

#4 unverviking

unverviking

Eat, Live, Breath Subaru

• Members
  • 289 posts
  • Spencerport, NY

Posted 04 November 2013 - 02:07 PM

Sorry, I thought the year and model was listed in my profile... my bad.  But it is an 01 OBW LL Bean VDC.    

I called tech support on the trailer box, they were of no help, said if you don't see it on the driver's side, pull apart the passenger side.  

I will do that...

Just was hoping to have overlooked it in a pocket or secret compartment or something... lol

#5 mdjdc

mdjdc

1000+ Super USER!

• Members
  • 1,307 posts
  • Richmond

Posted 04 November 2013 - 03:01 PM

The plug is on the passengers side inside the spare tire well.  It may be taped up to another wire, but I know for a fact that it is there.

#6 nipper

nipper

Semi Elite Master of the

• Members
  • 17,562 posts
  • Long Island NY

Posted 04 November 2013 - 04:07 PM

The plug is normally on the drivers side behind the access panel for the bulbs. It is taped to the tail light harness so may take a little hunting. Occasionally it is on the pass side, no one knows why.

#7 CNY_Dave

CNY_Dave

03 LL Bean H6

• Members
  • 1,426 posts
  • Near Cortland NY

Posted 04 November 2013 - 05:01 PM

My 2003 LL Bean (BTW it has to be a beaner or a VDC, can't be both for 01) had it on the passenger side just behind the wheel hump, I had to pull the styrofoam pads on the hatch floor in order to find it.

#8 johnceggleston

johnceggleston

Lite Master of the Subaru

• Gold Subscribers
  • 6,306 posts
  • Virginia

Posted 05 November 2013 - 10:20 AM

My 2003 LL Bean (BTW it has to be a beaner or a VDC, can't be both for
01) had it on the passenger side just behind the wheel hump, I had to
pull the styrofoam pads on the hatch floor in order to find it.

this^.

mine was taped up on the harness.

look for a fat spot in the wiring.

unless you remove the side wall of the cargo area, you are going by feel behind the wheel well.

Edited by johnceggleston, 05 November 2013 - 10:24 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users