Ultimate Subaru Message Board

rear hatch struts

so i own a 92 subaru loyale and i installed 5x7 speakers into the rear hatch and am powering them from a amp. my only problem is now even new hatch struts can not hold the extra weight of the speakers and it will not stay open on its own. i am in the middle of putting a ej engine in my car so im pretty busy with that or i would just go search in a parts yard. My question though is does anyone know of struts that can fit and bolt up but that are stonger and could hold more . thanks any info would really help

Are you sure they were *brand new* struts? A pair of 5x7's wouldn't add enough weight to over power new, quality hatch struts.

yes i went out and bought them yesterday and removed them from the packaging. i have tried this in a few of my loyale in the past and they never hold any extra weight in my opinion. sweet!!! thanks gloyale i will go try to return these unless they dont let me . might be selling them on board . i will post and let you know if it hold enough of the weight