Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Bagging the good old EA82

jono

I have seen so much bagging of the EA82 over many years, many forums. Honestly, is there anyone that expects thse to go for ever without some TLC and parts replacement - service parts ?

Timing belts and their tensioners and idlers are service parts with 60,000 mile and 120,000 mile intervals. If their hydraulic valve lash adjusters are ticking and got a few hundred thousand miles or kilometres on them, might be a sign that the oil changes were spaced out, or non existant by next lot of owners - and are by rights - a service replacement item.

Another little service item that misses attention is probably the cheapest yet rarely found as replaced going by the genuine look of them fitted - a radiator pressure cap ! The seal can deteriorate and lose the advantage of increased pressure for preventing over heating and water loss

Even high tension leads are service items, but most Sube enthusiats would doubt this after seeing 300,000km on some !

Sometimes think some users don't know basic things like spark plugs, air, fuel and oil filters are service items either !

Every one of the half dozen or so EA82 and EA82T variants I have got over the years have the above abused qualities.

My first reseal got new valve springs, new HVLA, head gaskets and has been ultra reliable since - done 50,000 miles and no problems. Found out why previous vehicle owner cooked first engine - another service item - temp gauge sender did not respond above 1/4 !

I am probably asking for trouble with 12psi of boost too !

Is there truly anyone in here who has done a reseal, rebelt and looked after oil and cooling needs of an EA82 or T and felt ripped off ? Or are the knockers just those who missed out on the 200,000mile reliability and copped the repair bills / torment ?

If these engines were rubbish, th EJ powered subes would not have had such a following, of repeat customers upgrading

jumps off soapbox :-)

Edited by jono

I rebuilt my spfi and I feel it would have lasted a very long time, had I not swamped it on a water crossing and ruined the rockers. Im currently swapping bottom ends and valvetrain. Why? I believe in the EA82, its good for what it is. Even if   the EJ (and in lots of cases EA81) will kick its a s s.