Ultimate Subaru Message Board

the cool weather has brought back last winter's 'dragging starter problem' in my 06 WRX and, I was hoping someone could guide me to the best rebuild parts. If I'm gonna bust into it, I'll spring for NGK or Denso w'ever people feel is good quality. Never done it before but saw some pics and I think I watched a video.

thanx

What do you mean by "dragging"?

If you mean it's turning slow that's probably not an issue with the contacts.

Cold weather is hell on a battery and this is when a weak battery will bite the dust. Even if its a fairly new battery you should get it tested. It's best if you can have it tested while the battery is cold.

I agree, there is nothing in a starter that cold weather should affect unless it is full of grease.  99% of the time if a starter is turning over slower when it gets colder it is the battery or cables that should be checked. 

well, it appears this starter may not be the same as the 'typical' one folks can rebuild with a plunger and contacts.

it may be a Mitsubishi, or a different type of denso starter - great.... denso 280-0333 I think.

now, if I have mine rebuilt locally, maybe they will use lube that's better for our Texas summers, etc. But the car might be down for 3 days w'ever. decent rebiults seem to be in the $140-$160 range.

guess i will limp it along until it gets severe, then shop for a decent rebuilt locally with a lifetime warranty. Just not sure i wanna mess with shipping a core back to someone via mail.

dang!

Edited by 1 Lucky Texan

I might try some kind of inspection/rework but, I'd feel a lot better about it if I had another ride or i KNEW I could get a starter locally first.

It's so odd, no problems except under about 40 degs F or so. A if starts the car - just makes a weird noise afterwards which i have to assume is the drive not retracting.

Edited by 1 Lucky Texan