Ultimate Subaru Message Board

el_freddo

G'day all.

I thought I'd share my snorkel conversion that I've done to Ruby Scoo.  This particular modification was done to an EFI air box that's factory with the MPFI L series.  The base is factory L series and the top is factory EJ.

I started off making this adaptor for the airbox into the inner guard:

dsc4327pipe.jpg

This is a 2.5 inch exhaust pipe stretched at one end to 3 inch then squashed to the oval shape to fit the air box.  The tab loop is for fastening.  Ultimately when this whole thing was done it would have been easier to start with 3 inch pipe and keep that size the whole way through.

The snorkel is from a Mitsubishi Pajero, NK/NH/NJ 1990 to 1996ish without the flare modification.  I hope you guys got them over there!

The most important part was nutting out the fitment of the snorkel, namely to find out where it would poke through to the inner guard for the rest of the adaptor work:

I used a "dead" front guard on the spare L series, held the snorkel where I think it needed to be, marked where the main hole should go and ended up with this:

25ga.jpg

Marked where the bolt holes need to go:

9t2s.jpg

Bolted on to the guard:

eb4w.jpg

This is what it looks like dummied up on the car, some bending required:

8bx6.jpg

Once the bending was complete:

1lwb.jpg

fn08.jpg

^ I also bent the top tip of the snorkel to make it sit flat so that the head attachment looks like it should be there rather than being cocked to one side.  Bending was done with the snorkel filled with sand and a heat gun.  The sand stops any distortion of the snorkel while heating, more of a precaution than anything.  I've heard of people using a blow torch but I reckon that'd be too hot and change the texture of the plastic's finish.  I had access to an electric heat gun that did the job very well.

Now that I had that sorted I made a template and went from there on Ruby Scoo:

fuex.jpg

The big moment where it was imperative that I get it right!

rrhj.jpg

This is the same adaptor above once we were done with it - We shortened the side on the inner guard and welded a 3 inch piece of pipe to it on a 45 degree angle.  The angle that it faces up is also off centre to the oval part of the adaptor, so that the upward piece is vertical.  Included in this image is the cut down 3 inch silicone pipe that joins to the snorkel in the inner guard:

ufr5.jpg

Fitted without the guard:

onkx.jpg

^ Next time I have the guard off I need to put the wiring over the top of this pipe work...  next time...

Also note that you need to come up with a new washer bottle setup.  This one is temporary but will no doubt live here for some time.  The washer pump fits nicely into the inside of a soft drink bottle's neck with the factory rubber piece.  I've use a cooking oil bottle and some heater hose as the adaptor between the two.  It's one litre which isn't much but does the trick.

Fitted with guard and snorkel all hooked up - very happy with the results!

utjn.jpg

The guard's wiring should go over the top of this pipe work - something I'll do next time I have the guard off.

While I had the adaptor out I shortened the end that's in the air box - it was about another inch longer previously.  The adaptor also copped a lick of matt black paint just to make it look good and stop rust (maybe).

qrrs.jpg

Between the adaptor and the sheet metal is two pieces of closed cell foam matting (the camping matt stuff, can be seen two images above), and between the sheet metal and the air box is three or four pieces of the same foam - this is here to help seal up the air box intake hole.  I've also bolted the top of the air box bottom piece to the side of the engine bay to help squash the foam.  The adaptor is screwed in place from the outer guard side, this also squashes the foam to help with the seal.

The finished product:

b2y5.jpg

q5uc.jpg

I need to get some more angles of this for a better view on here, and drop the camper off the roof too so I can really see what it'd look like on the L's body.

There's less induction noise than what I was expecting until you hit 4G rpm at WOT - then it's just a roaring angry EJ sound!  But that's only when you've got the window down...

Cheers all for having a look.  If you're after a snorkel just have a go at it!  The inner guard work is usually the hardest bit to sort out once you've got the snorkel sized up and sorted ;)  I think I've got all the details in here, if not, ask away!

Cheers

Bennie

PS - feel free to drop your snorkel's conversion guide in here too!
  • Like 1

Well, now there's two L's out there (that I know of) with the plastic snorkel, this one is mounted differently to mine:

63923_10200652497570927_1423459620_n.jpg

And it's a carbie setup, here's the intake setup:

644009_10200652498170942_1262894991_n.jp

This is Species' L series, build thread here, these pics can be found on page 4 ;)

Bratman, I don't think there's anything wrong with a fibreglass snorkel, but bending it would be an issue I reckon - I've not tried or know how to bend fibreglass, if it's possible at all.

Cheers

Bennie

PS: I've not got any better pics of my snorkel as I said I would - I still want to modify the top of the snorkel as it's not sitting the way I want it to...

Edited by el_freddo

• 2 weeks later...

There's this one too, and it says Safari Snorkel like yours, but it says in the description that it's fiberglass.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/281183521052?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

It say's the template is fiberglass.  Which is nice, way better than cardboard.  But yeah the snorkel is probably ABS but deosn;t say.  Typical Generic E-bay knick off of the Safari

Thanks for sharing the great write-up...wondering if the same process would work with a 1994 Turbo Legacy Wagon?

Kaki,  I reckon it is - the hardest part is finding a snorkel that's suitable, after this it's the inner guard work to hook it up.

Cutting the hole is always a moment to remember - and get right the first time!

Bratman, how's your mod coming along?  Did you go with the one you linked earlier in the thread, and if so, is it plastic?

Cheers

Bennie

Jumped on this one while on sale, that & it was the last one: http://www.ebay.com/...984.m1423.l2649

Description does say the template is fiberglass.

And in this one description says fiberglass snorkel:http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mitsubishi-Pajero-Montero-Shogun-L047-049-82-91-SNORKEL-WORLDWIDE-SHIPPING-/281214458879?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item4179b01bff

I'll find out when it gets here.

Edited by czny

I see that the second one you listed actually states FRP template. I wish they were better with their descriptions.

Have you ever done business with a Malaysian before? I did a few years ago. Sold some Corsair memory sticks on fleabay. Only bidder was this guy who worked as tech for the main television broadcaster. Lost a few dollars in shipping due to "language differences" on that one.  :banghead:

Have you ever done business with a Malaysian before? I did a few years ago. Sold some Corsair memory sticks on fleabay. Only bidder was this guy who worked as tech for the main television broadcaster. Lost a few dollars in shipping due to "language differences" on that one. :banghead:

Lol. Nope can't say I have!

• 4 weeks later...