I thought I'd share my snorkel conversion that I've done to Ruby Scoo. This particular modification was done to an EFI air box that's factory with the MPFI L series. The base is factory L series and the top is factory EJ.
I started off making this adaptor for the airbox into the inner guard:
This is a 2.5 inch exhaust pipe stretched at one end to 3 inch then squashed to the oval shape to fit the air box. The tab loop is for fastening. Ultimately when this whole thing was done it would have been easier to start with 3 inch pipe and keep that size the whole way through.
The most important part was nutting out the fitment of the snorkel, namely to find out where it would poke through to the inner guard for the rest of the adaptor work:
^ I also bent the top tip of the snorkel to make it sit flat so that the head attachment looks like it should be there rather than being cocked to one side. Bending was done with the snorkel filled with sand and a heat gun. The sand stops any distortion of the snorkel while heating, more of a precaution than anything. I've heard of people using a blow torch but I reckon that'd be too hot and change the texture of the plastic's finish. I had access to an electric heat gun that did the job very well.
Now that I had that sorted I made a template and went from there on Ruby Scoo:
The big moment where it was imperative that I get it right!
This is the same adaptor above once we were done with it - We shortened the side on the inner guard and welded a 3 inch piece of pipe to it on a 45 degree angle. The angle that it faces up is also off centre to the oval part of the adaptor, so that the upward piece is vertical. Included in this image is the cut down 3 inch silicone pipe that joins to the snorkel in the inner guard:
The guard's wiring should go over the top of this pipe work - something I'll do next time I have the guard off.
Between the adaptor and the sheet metal is two pieces of closed cell foam matting (the camping matt stuff, can be seen two images above), and between the sheet metal and the air box is three or four pieces of the same foam - this is here to help seal up the air box intake hole. I've also bolted the top of the air box bottom piece to the side of the engine bay to help squash the foam. The adaptor is screwed in place from the outer guard side, this also squashes the foam to help with the seal.
The finished product:
I need to get some more angles of this for a better view on here, and drop the camper off the roof too so I can really see what it'd look like on the L's body.
PS - feel free to drop your snorkel's conversion guide in here too!