Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Best Drive Axle Option

I can buy a "new " drive axle all day long for $75.  Quality is hit or (often) miss I realize.

If i want to rebuild my OE shaft, what is a good source for joints and boots?  What is a quality brand?

Car is a 1992 Loyale, 5-speed

Edited by yblocker

Rock Auto has the rebuild parts.

Pick N Pull Oakland has a 93 Loyale in it. Stockton has a 92. (Any GL or DL of the same body style will fit.) I've had good luck grabbing a decent used axle. Less work and pick n pull charges less than $30 for an axle.

general rule is, if a boot is torn but not making any noise, you can re-boot them. If it's making noise, don't bother, just replace the axle.

Right. So obviously the joints are manufactured someplace if you can buy an entire new axle assembly. Its just that mere mortals can't purchase the joints separately. Its really the quality of the joints that you feel (or not feel) as you drive. I can use an Autozone special I guess, but I'm hanging on to the OE axle in case I find a source for good joints.