Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Best Drive Axle Option

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 yblocker

yblocker

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts
  • Oakland,CA

Posted 08 November 2013 - 03:40 PM

I can buy a "new " drive axle all day long for $75.  Quality is hit or (often) miss I realize.

If i want to rebuild my OE shaft, what is a good source for joints and boots?  What is a quality brand?

Car is a 1992 Loyale, 5-speed

Edited by yblocker, 08 November 2013 - 03:44 PM.

#2 AdventureSubaru

AdventureSubaru

Subaru Fanatic!

• Members
  • 862 posts
  • Scotts Valley, CA

Posted 08 November 2013 - 04:13 PM

Rock Auto has the rebuild parts.

Pick N Pull Oakland has a 93 Loyale in it. Stockton has a 92. (Any GL or DL of the same body style will fit.) I've had good luck grabbing a decent used axle. Less work and pick n pull charges less than $30 for an axle.

general rule is, if a boot is torn but not making any noise, you can re-boot them. If it's making noise, don't bother, just replace the axle.

#3 yblocker

yblocker

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts
  • Oakland,CA

Posted 08 November 2013 - 04:37 PM

I see boots for sale at Rock Auto, Napa, Auto Parts Warehouse etc, but no joints.

I've seen that '93 at P&P.  I may pull them off that car.

#4 drake13

drake13

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts
  • Stevens Point Wi

Posted 08 November 2013 - 10:15 PM

Cyndi's classic auto and Subaru grave yard in Cambridge Wisconsin has around 150 loyales from carbs to turbo mpfi

#5 justajester

justajester

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts
  • Flagstaff, AZ

Posted 08 November 2013 - 11:20 PM

I just bought empi axles from rock auto..brand new for 51 bucks a piece. I cant comment on durability yet but the quality seemed very nice from visual inspection

#6 yblocker

yblocker

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts
  • Oakland,CA

Posted 09 November 2013 - 01:32 AM

Right. So obviously the joints are manufactured someplace if you can buy an entire new axle assembly. Its just that mere mortals can't purchase the joints separately. Its really the quality of the joints that you feel (or not feel) as you drive. I can use an Autozone special I guess, but I'm hanging on to the OE axle in case I find a source for good joints.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users