Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Water Pump has me confused...

So Im looking at buying a new water pump for my replacement engine (might as well put a new one on rather than use my other one)

and I know about the differences between 105mm and 110mm pumps and Ive been searching, however there seems to be a lot of "you can do this if" and "no that wont work" type of things going on...

So here I have a link: http://www.partsgeek.com/mmparts/water_pump/subaru/loyale.html

That shows Aisin and GMB water pumps at pretty decent prices, both made in Japan last I checked so should be of OEM quality... My question is... The motor going INTO the car is out of a 1990-1994 Loyale with A/C... Ned doesnt have A/C (1986 GL Sedan) so if I swap my alternator bracket onto the new motor, then I use the 105mm water pump right?

Actually it not "turbo or non turbo"

It's factory a/c or dealer/non a/c. If the a/c compressor is inboard of the alt, it factory a/c

Factory ac = short pump. 105mm
All others = long pump. 110mm

Nevermind, Gloyale answered it for me here... Finally found the thread by searching google... now to check part numbers for the correct shaft...

For anyone searching... Non-AC cars need the 110mm pump.

• Like 1

The pulley is whats different apparently, like the belts will not align correctly? I heard I need to swap my alternator bracket over to the new motor anyway so Im gonna go with the 110mm pump...

Aisin Engine Water Pump WPF-003 says "without A/C on fitment" and "110mm" on another site... so thats what Im gonna go with

Well, I'l be....down under we differentiate the deck heights of EA82 water pumps for thje belt/pulley types.

105mm deck height for the multi rib flat accessory drive belt and 110 deck for old school V belt drive.

A press and press plates are really all that are needed to alter the deck height. I followed all the advice from somewhere, got the wrong pump and paid an extra 10 bucks for the turbo listing , ended up in the press for correction. Same pump - just 5mm difference in fitted height of its little outer wheel !

110mm pump, the drive pulley bolts on.

105mm pump, has studs to mount the clutch fan.

If one finds that they got the 105mm unit instead of the 110mm unit, you can install some studs and slip washers on those before installing the drive pulley, then install the nuts.

Read about that trick on here a few years back.

Studs are the same as one would find holding the carb to the manifold. Should be able to find them on a "HELP" rack at a parts store.

I has been worried about the Water pump on my Subaru "BumbleBeast" because its EA82 engine has been working since year 1985 with the factory Water Pump (Maybe it has lasted more because I run it without thermostat since that year... or maybe I just has been Lucky), I've never changed that so far, but it already has more than 300K miles and I'm planning to do a Timin' belt job next year, so a Fresh Water Pump should be added then.

So some month ago, I started collecting parts to do said timing belt job, and I obtained locally a Brand New Water Pump which came inside a "Beck-Arnley" box, part Number 131-2027 and the Water Pump itself says: "NPW Made in Japan"

According to ~► this web site, that water pump is 105 mm but there says it Fits the "Subaru DL and the Subaru XT" ... my Question is due to that somehow confusing info:

My 1985 EA82 Subaru GL wagon with factory (inboard hitachi) A/C uses the 105 or the 110 mm tall Water pump?

Kind Regards.

My Subaru "BumbleBeast" has V belts ...

The Flat ribbed belt came on the EA82's with Spider intake Manifold (XT's) isn't it?

That is Why the info on e-Bay is confusing, they wrote that it fits the XT and the DL,

and DL's here came without A/C.

105mm pump since it's factory AC

This is the Straight kind of Answer I was Lookin' for:D 

Thanx, Kind Regards.

Edited by Loyale 2.7 Turbo

Not sure weather L Series EA82 got factory installed AC. Certain the earlier EA81 MY sries were dealer installed and aftermarket.

I got an EA82 that was AC and used two V belts for same path, it is a 110mm deck I am sure

Not sure weather L Series EA82 got factory installed AC. Certain the earlier EA81 MY sries were dealer installed and aftermarket.

I got an EA82 that was AC and used two V belts for same path, it is a 110mm deck I am sure

Still, it boils down to whether the A/C compressor is inboard of the alt (factory A/C) = 105mm pump, or if the A/c compressor is outboard of the alt (non/aftermarket) = 110mm.

There are work-arounds to use either pump, but that is the jist of what they are for.

As far as I know, There are four (4) versions of the A/C compressors for the EA82 engined Subarus; HitachiNippondensoPanasonic inboard and Panasonic outboard. The difference between the two Panasonic systems is the location of the compressor only; but the most usual ones are these:

► The Factory A/C has the Compressor installed between the Power Steering Pump and the Alternator, and thus means it is an "Inboard" A/C = Factory, usually Hitachi but there could be Panasonic and the more scarse Nippon Denso.

► The Dealer installed A/C has the Compressor installed "outside" Near the Battery, and the Alternator is the one that gets between said Compressor and the Power Steering Pump; and thus means it is an "Outboard" A/C = Dealer option, Panasonic.

So, my 1985 EA82 with Factory installed hitachi inboard compressor, and according to the above written answers, it uses the 105 mm tall Water pump.

Kind Regards.

Hey All!

interesting! wish i'd seen this thread prior to installing my new water pump; after exchanging it twice, and still not having the right height, i installed longer bolts from the back side with jam nuts. i then used washers to space the pulley out correctly, and fastened with nylok  nuts. seems to be working so far.

'89 DL with A/C

JOHN

Pretty much only GL-10s, turbos, and XT's uses the 105 mm, "factory" A/C setup.

All other models use the 110.

The 105 pump can be used with the correct pulley.

It's like this.  If the pulley is thicker, fit's on over the studs, and then has it's own studds for the Clutch fan.......You need a 105

If the pulley is thinner slips right over the studs and then the fan bolts onto those same studs......110

Pretty much only GL-10s, turbos, and XT's uses the 105 mm, "factory" A/C setup...

My 1985 "BumbleBeast" EA82 has Factory "inboards" A/C,

and the Waterpump seems to be:

... the pulley is thinner slips right over the studs and then the fan bolts onto those same studs......110

... So 110? :o ...

Even more confusion to the Mix, because this seems

to be backwards comparing to the above posts,

Such like These:

... whether the A/C compressor is inboard of the alt (factory A/C) = 105mm pump ...

105mm pump since it's factory AC

Maybe I'll wait 'till the Moment I do the Timin' Belts Job,

in order to Remove the Stock, 300K Miles old WaterPump,

to see if it is 105 or 110 mm tall shaft...

Loyale 2.7 - I agree on the confusing part. I'm needing to order one for my '86 GL right now but all the contradictions you highlighted gives me pause. I've got factory A/C which is inboard of the alternator, uses v-belts and the current water pump has studs that the fan mounts to. I'm leaning towards 110mm......

• Like 1

ok, so I removed the water pump from my 1986 GL (Factory A/C as far as I can tell, the compressor inboard of the alternator & uses V-belts)

Ck3Rizo.jpg

I measured from these 2 points on the pump

NA2ZmtC.jpg

and I received this measurement

5HofHiM.jpg

So........110mm?.....if I'm measuring correctly

• Like 1

Many thanks to you, Trident, for the Photos and Measurements. 

I Measured my Brand New NPW Japanese Waterpump exactly as you did,

and the Measurement is Equal to yours: 110 mm ...  :confused: ...

Despite that the Website (posted above on Post Nº 7) says it should be a 105 mm one...

However, I'm glad I obtained the Right Waterpump for my "BumbleBeast" ;)

Kind Regards.

ok, so I removed the water pump from my 1986 GL (Factory A/C as far as I can tell, the compressor inboard of the alternator & uses V-belts)

That would be the dealer installed system.

GL-10s had it factory and the pump is outboard of the Alt.

Your GL had it added at the dealership.