Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

My Brat failed the emission test

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 lepetitprince

lepetitprince

USMB Irregular

• Members
  • 384 posts
  • Madison Heights

Posted 26 April 2004 - 06:25 PM

arg...Today I took my precious brat(1982) to the emission test. Guess what
I failed it...First of all I failed Gas cap...a freaking gas cap...it made me fail it.
Secondly, my CO(%) was too high to pass the test. Its idle limit is 1.2, but my was 1.52.
Sigh...I'm still novice with car in general, so I don't know how to lower the CO percentage.
If anyone know what I'm talking about, please help
thanks
Dan

#2 Scrub2k

Scrub2k

Eat, Live, Breath Subaru

• Members
  • 273 posts
  • Reno

Posted 26 April 2004 - 06:32 PM

Well im not sure how to Lower the Specific CO Percentage but An Oil Change Normally helps and make sure that the Engine is At Running Temp When its Tested

#3 subarubrat

subarubrat

1000+ Super USER!

• Members
  • 1,194 posts
  • Bealeton, VA

Posted 26 April 2004 - 06:34 PM

Try pouring in a can of No pass No pay, it often works.

#4 Qman

Qman

Happiness is... no lag!!

• 11,119 posts
  • Sumner

Posted 26 April 2004 - 07:44 PM

Go to the Georgetown testing station. There is an emissions tech that works out of his van across the street. He is state certified and guarrantees that he can pass you or he won't charge. He can also help with exemptions if neccessary.

#5 edrach

edrach

RIP 6/28/14

• Members
  • 12,326 posts
  • Bothell, WA

Posted 26 April 2004 - 08:22 PM

Ditto on qman's advice. The 2nd test is free, but if you fail that one, the third one is a charge again. Just some comments about emissions: BEFORE you go, make sure you have a new air cleaner in the car, make sure your timing is at spec, make sure your vacuum advance is actually working, run the car down the highway at the speed limit for at least 15 minutes to be sure that the catalytic converter is hot and working efficiently. Most of these things help the HC portion of the test. Good luck with the retest.

#6 GeneralDisorder

GeneralDisorder

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 20,280 posts
  • Portland

Posted 26 April 2004 - 09:02 PM

Just a side note, but if anyone in WA is having trouble passing, they can go through the OR DEQ as many times as they want for free! It's no charge to fail, an there's no limit to the number of times you can fail. The test itself is the same, so if you pass here, you should pass up there. Also, the DMV down here says that a good pass slip from WA is good for 30 days just like a good slip from OR is.... that may or may not be true up there, but if you do pass it's only $21 for the pass slip - and if you don't want that, just drive out - you only pay if you want the paper!

GD

#7 lepetitprince

lepetitprince

USMB Irregular

• Members
  • 384 posts
  • Madison Heights

Posted 26 April 2004 - 11:33 PM

thanks for all your infos, and replies. I would like to try "can of No pass No pay"
but I have no idea what that is, and where to get it. By the way, one of my friend was saying that my RPM was bit lower than what it should be at. At cruise emission, my brat's rpm was 820 and, at idle emissions it was at 640. Plus he mentioned that if I higher the rpm, it would lower the percentage of CO.
I was wondering if that was correct, and if it is correct how do you higher the rpm?
thanks
Dan

#8 edrach

edrach

RIP 6/28/14

• Members
  • 12,326 posts
  • Bothell, WA

Posted 27 April 2004 - 01:12 AM

That doesn't sound right at all. The measurement at idle should be between 800 and 1100 (if I remember correctly) and the cruise readings should be around 2500! If the readings are as you stated, the tester made a big-time mistake.

#9 subarubrat

subarubrat

1000+ Super USER!

• Members
  • 1,194 posts
  • Bealeton, VA

Posted 27 April 2004 - 01:41 AM

Yeah, those numbers are way off.

#10 Hondasucks

Hondasucks

Subaru Technician

• Members
  • 4,760 posts
  • Vancouver, WA

Posted 27 April 2004 - 02:07 AM

if you know someone with an exhaust gas analyzer, or if the testing station will let you do it, the idle mixture screw on teh carburetor can be tweaked to bring the idle CO % into spec, if everything else is in tune. The older carbs have a tamper pin you have to pull out before you can tinker with the screw, but my 85 doesnt have anything blocking it...

#11 GeneralDisorder

GeneralDisorder

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 20,280 posts
  • Portland

Posted 27 April 2004 - 02:39 AM

The initial setting for that screw is 4 turns out BTW.

GD

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users