Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Spun rod bearing on No.1 - 99 EJ22

I finally split the block today after tripping over it the past five months. It had the infamous rod knock when I bought it and I just had to see if I can fix it. My next plan will be to take the crankshaft and have it turned at my local auto machine shop. (if it's not too far gone). 

post-28702-0-99329100-1384056426_thumb.jpg

Have fun.

If you're going to replace the crank bearings also, make sure you have them miked. The bearings may not  be all the same size.

Looking at the crank, it should have a group of five letters, ranging from A to D. Check the fsm engine spec page for actual ranges. A is std, B is .03, C is .05 and D is .25 under.

Subaru does sell the crank bearings individually, but not rod bearings.

On a rebuild I did, EJ25D phase one. I was fortunate to have started with 4 C's and a B. Miking it, I was able to get a C set all around (.05 under). $89 from my dealer.

Make sure you watch the orientation of bearings 2 and 4 on install.

O.

Edited by ocei77

From my past experience with domestic engines I'm fairly certain the front journal on the crankshaft is too far gone. The only evidence of it ever sporting a rod bearing was a bunch of metallic powder inside the oil pan. I need to get a crankshaft kit with pistons, rods, crankshaft, rings and bearings. I might just shop around for another good used 99 shortblock? I've been running with a 94 shortblock since last summer and it's doing o.k.   

From my past experience with domestic engines I'm fairly certain the front journal on the crankshaft is too far gone. The only evidence of it ever sporting a rod bearing was a bunch of metallic powder inside the oil pan. I need to get a crankshaft kit with pistons, rods, crankshaft, rings and bearings. I might just shop around for another good used 99 shortblock? I've been running with a 94 shortblock since last summer and it's doing o.k.   

You have the right idea in getting another one. It's hard to get all that powder out of one, and if you don't get it all out it has the potential to destroy all the new stuff you put in it.