Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Home built gen 3 bumpers

So i've been flipping through many threads on here, just to look at bumpers on gen 3 cars.

I'm looking to build an offroad bumper with a winch in it for my 87 wagon, I want a push bar/baja bar style bumper.

All that said, post up pictures of your bumpers to inspire me please.

Thanks, Tom

the outback bumper is about 80lb heave but thats what they wanted back bumper is still in the works  my loyale bumper is about 40 lbs light weight thin wall but strong enuff for the light weight loyale although i did destroy the back bumper and had to repair it its much stronger now

20131109_172903_zpsc4d03842.jpg

after pulling a stuck jeep out of the sand stupididty was documented on youtube lol

IMAG0580_zps6aa7a0d3.jpg

before

IMG_28852544153418_zps78ea0138.jpg

I'm partial to the angular look on some of the new hilux bullbars again, not subaru :P

32312510007_large.jpg

i think that would be sick if they made thoughs for a subaru thats closer to what i wanted to build but kid wanted a tube bumper with the buggie bar kinda like the one im running

gallery_4164_16_1360569728_3185.jpg

The skid plate is off it in this picture, but it was an 1/8" steel plate that attached to the two runners underneath with a half dozen bolts. It took some hard hits, and I put some brutal pulling forces on it with that winch.

The key part of the bumper was the two box tubing braces that went down to a piece of angle iron that saddled the lower radiator support. That stopped the bumper from rotating down when the winch was pulling. It also spread the load into the front of the car when hitting things with the bumper.