Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Timing Advice Needed

im looking for advice on timing my 87 gl-10 turbo wagon auto.

I took it apart to replace cracked heads on both sides, and it ran perfectly as far as timing goes. Before I took it apart i noticed it wasn't timed exactly right so i marked everything with a paint pen and I put it back together according to my paint marks. I did it in a way that i never had to remove my distributor from the cam tower and the camshafts never had to come out. So there isn't a whole lot of ways i could have messed it up.

It runs rough with a sputter and knocking. In park it almost runs normal at idle and revved up over 2k it sounds to be running perfect. butttttt.... when u shift into gear it really has a hard time and cannot really get up to speed. 
any ideas maybe there is something im not looking at or maybe i should correct the timing?

by not timed right i mainly mean the flywheel marks. both cams appear to be right on the money and the ditsy is as it was before taking it apart but the flywheel mark is off by about 1 inch. um my paint mark is 1 inch to the driver side and the flywheel marks are to the pass side.

The 86 GL-10 automatic is 25 degrees BTDC @ 800 rpm.  I set mine at 26 degrees.  The only difference between the MT and the AT, is the rpm that you set it at.  Except the timing does not vary on mine, at that low of rpm.   You would want to clean the corrosion off of the points in the inside top of the distributor cap, before you set the timing.