Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Weber tune

Hey guys, I got my weber installed this weekend on my 86 ea82 wagon but I can't get the car to run right. I got the car to idle, but its way low like 250 rpms. I can't get it to idle any higher, and every time I touche the throttle it wants to die. I tried asjusting it the way the instructions say, but I'm getting nowhere. Have any of you guys had this problem?

Sound like a stuck open PCV Valve or a way off timing, but always start with the Basics:  

► Have you tried "Fine Tuning" it with the Idle Mixture adjustin' screw?

It could be too Tight or too Loose.

► Are the choke's flapper butterflies properly Adjusted?

If they're loose, they could restrict the air flow at idle.

► Have you tried to soak it with enough Carb Cleaner?

It could have a Gum / varnish buildup at the Air needle.

► Have you already adjusted the Idle Speed screw?

If it is too Low, the engine will shoot off everytime the choke fully opens.

Kind Regards.

Hey guys, I got my weber installed this weekend on my 86 ea82 wagon but I can't get the car to run right. I got the car to idle, but its way low like 250 rpms. I can't get it to idle any higher, and every time I touche the throttle it wants to die. I tried asjusting it the way the instructions say, but I'm getting nowhere. Have any of you guys had this problem?

Is this a kit for your car or a used Weber with unknown jetting?

That happened to me on my Jeep.  I had to drop my idle jet sizes quite a bit.  If you can get it to idle, try screwing the idle mixture screw (not the idle speed screw) in or out more than what the instructions say.  Find where the idle is highest.  If idle peaks with less than 1.75 turns on the idle mix then you should drop your  primary idle jet down.  If it idles best at more than 2.25 turns then bump the idle jet up.  They are really easy to change.  

What do your spark plugs look like?  I am guessing it's running a bit rich.

Thanks for the replys guys. Yeah, i got the kit for the ea82. The idle speed screw dosnt even touch the linkage when the cable isnt connected and its tightened all the way down, so I adjusted the cable. The idle mixture is at I think 1 3/4 turns right now and that's where it idles best. I bought a new pcv when I installed the carb too. The float butterfly works too, when its warm its all the way open. I havnt pulled the plugs yet, but ill do that tonight when I get home. I didn't use any carb cleaner on it, I figured I wouldn't need to with it being a brand new carb.

Have you let the car warm up before you try and tune it?

If not, gently turn the mixture screw all the way in (do not tighten it once you feel it bottom out), then back out 1 and a half turns. Turn the car on and get it warmed up to operating temp, and the choke is is off. You may need to hold the throttle open to get it to warm up. After the car is warm, and you can verify that the choke is off, then do your tune.

I don't really have a spot to put the stock return spring, but it has the one that cane with it on there. I couldn't get the car to stay running without pumping the gas constantly when I first tried to tune the carb. I finaly got it to idle at around 250 rpms and that's all I could get out of it. Lightly working the throttle would make it want to die.

You might try leaving the air cleaner off, while you are or someone else is cranking on it, shoot some starting fluid down the carb.

This May or may not cure the issue, what you are describing kind of sounds look what I was seeing after I converted my carb. I shoot mine with the starting fluid and it ran much more like it should.

Worth a try.

According to his Post:

If he obtained a K731 Kit from Redline / Weber

It is intended to Retrofit this Carb  on the EA82;

So, it should came with 140 Low / 140 High Jettings.

Kind Regards.

If you are responding to my question, I am referring to the idle jets not the main jets.  The idle jets are the little ones on the sides of the carb.  They are accessible from the exterior with a standard screwdriver.  I'm guessing they should be in the 40-50 range for these cars.  Redline Weber has been shipping their kits with idle jets that are too large so people don't develop a lean condition and burn their engine after install.

I bought a kit recently for my Jeep and the primary idle jet was way too large.  I could barely get the thing to idle with any rpms, just like the OP.  It came with a 75 primary and a 60 secondary.  I dropped the primary down to a 45 and I am running a 50 on the secondary.  I am going to try 55 in the secondary for bit to see how it affects the high end power but other than that it runs perfect.  There's no way I could have ever tuned it in with a 75 and that is how it came from the factory.

espey_16 the idle jets are located on opposite sides of the carb near the corners on either side of the fuel inlet.  They are just two brass screws that stick out on either side that each hold a little idle jet.  If you do an internet search for weber idle jets, they are the small ones.  You need to pull them out and read the number stamped in the side.

• Like 1