Ultimate Subaru Message Board

the cranks put no start from hell 99 OBW

Just as the title as.  1999 Outback wagon.  At some point in time the car received a 96 2.5 swapped in(original engine probably kicked the bucket).  We bought it for 500 bucks with a bad rod bearing.  We rebuilt the engine, which ran with the bad rod bearing, but now after rebuilding it, it wont start. 

Everything is good so we dont understand why it wont start.  We have fuel, spark, only checked number 1 cylinder but 110 compression, no vacuum leaks or disconnected lines, MAF is intact and clean, No codes, 40psi fuel pressure while cranking.

Here's some things i noted.  Pulled a wire and did a spark test.  what should the spark look like?  ours was kinda orangish.  used a timing light and found its sparking at 10 degrees BTDC, and the damn thing appears to be flooding.  Also, we pulled 3 of the plugs out and heated em real good with a torch and reinstalled them, and using a little bit of starting fluid, it still wouldnt fire.  whats going on?  i'm loosing it with this car.

OH, and it wouldnt build any fuel pressure when we first got so its now got a new fuel pump.  And its tried to fire up a twice, but immediately sputters and dies.

Edited by soobie_newbie67

i knew i was forgetting to mention something.  we triple checked the timing before dropping the engine in and everything lines up perfect.  And the compression would be a little low cause we havent gotten to drive it and seat the new rings.  And the heads are perfect.  we took em to a machine shop and had them professionally reconditioned.  Did the gas test on the valves; doesnt leak a bit.

Also, we eliminated the cam and crank sensors as being a problem by replacing them with ones out of our 1996 Outback that actually runs.  and also the sensors that were in our non running engine work cause we put them in the other 96 to see if it would run on them and it does.

Ive gone over it twice now.  No missing grounds, no broken wires, no disconnected connectors.  everything is as it should be.  I just dont understand.

Well if the valve timing is correct then you have ignition timing an fuel left along with intake air. If the engine won't fire up using starter fluid something is wrong with the ignition or air intake possibly. Try removing the MAF sensor from the circuit and see if it will fire up then. 

Alright.  So there's a big ground wire that runs to the starter that we found wasnt hooked up like its supposed to be.  It just dangled down and we didnt notice it while reinstalling the starter.  We hooked it up and still cranks but wont start.  We have fuel; pulled a plug and its got gas on it, but it was wet like its flooding.  We dried out 3 of them and it still doesnt want to start.  it doesnt even act like its trying to catch.  Eliminated the MAF to see what would happen.  no difference.  maybe i fried the ECU by trying to start it without that big ground?

110 is too low for compression. Even with new rings. If they aren't "seated" the oil on the rings (you did oil them, right?) would still bring compression up to a somewhat normal level. But I suppose if you only pulled one spark plug the reading would be low anyway.

If you think the oil may have run off, squirt some into the cylinders and recheck compression.