Ultimate Subaru Message Board

cooler thermostat wanted.. part #??

Hey all,

doing my "ea performance" research, next on the list is a cooler thermostat..

anyone have a part number..

ea82 gl wagon....is what i'm looking for one for...

napa, or shucks, carquest...etc??

thanks in advance...hoping for 170 degree...

I know AutoZone has a 180-degree thermostat listed in their system for these cars (that's where I got the one for my 1986 Subaru RX)...don't know if they list a 170, though.

you may have to make a small hole for the air bleed.

...and the 180-degree one I got from AutoZone had the "jiggle valve" thing as well. :)

I will give them a try...thanks for the input..

mark

I know AutoZone has a 180-degree thermostat listed in their system for these cars (that's where I got the one for my 1986 Subaru RX)...don't know if they list a 170, though.

...and the 180-degree one I got from AutoZone had the "jiggle valve" thing as well. :)

no pep boys, would have to go south to find them....

I will keep looking around...

mark

Do you have PepBoys in your area? On the original EA Performance Page that is where the author recommended. I went to 160 with my old BRAT with zero problems. Remember, the t-stat is not perfectly round like most.

You might try an old hot-rodder trick: Use a regular 195 thermostat, but drill a 1/8" hole in the flat area.............this will bring down the opening temperature about 10 degrees or so. If one doesn't do it try a second hole. That ought to make a 195 'stat act like a 175 unit...............don't drill more than two holes, or the coolant will go through to fast and winter warm-up's might be tough; along with a weak defroster as a result.

I have done this with several different engines, but not with any that are computer controlled.........too low a temp in the cooling system and the ECU might "think" your engine is not warmed up and keep dumping extra fuel...........this may lead you to believe you now have more power, but in fact; you'll just use more fuel and wash-out your rings.

Internal Combustion Engines need Heat to make power...........most designs are set up to operate as close to the "overheated" threshold as possible...............A Lexus V8 uses a 198* 'stat...............that's right, 198 F. This is so they can achieve an optimum operating temp. of about 202 F. Cleanest burning and most power at this temp............leaving a little room for triple-digit weather!

At only 85 HP and 100 lb.ft. of torque, the EA82 won't give much more without some serious mods...................maybe it's time for a Turbo............

Otherwise, just drill a hole.

When in doubt, stay stock on the 'stat.............

A two-row radiator is nice and not expensive...................and the heater still works!

Just my .02c

k6uid

Guest taprackready
You might try an old hot-rodder trick: k6uid

Careful. Some guys get nervous when the term "hotrod" and Subaru are used in the same sentence.

Well, SBC t-stats were mentioned above in reference to parts availability and temperature selections.................

I am not trying to connect HR's with Sube's in any way......................but it is possible to HR a Sube...............

Don't you think Bugaru's car is a HR?.................;)

In the end, an engine is an engine; as long as we are talking about ICE's.....

If the mod I suggested seems to be way out there, just ask around. I am not the first one to try it and surely not the last.

If it doesn't work, go back to the stock T-stat.