Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Brat with a blown motor, worth saving?

Supposedly the guy tells me it just died one day while he was driving and the mechnic he took it to told him it needs a new motor. I guess that could mean anything from the oil pan fell out, to a rod through the block to god knows what. Whats the going rate on junkyard motors? Any clue? I guess I could take it apart myself and rebuild it. Honestly, how hard can it be ;)

• Like 1

These engines were designed to be used in "developing nations"; they are simple, rugged, reliable, and usually repairable with minimal tools.  The engine is light, and one strong person or 2 average strength persons can lift the engine out of the engine bay.

Headgaskets fail, but that is partially because of the years and mileage on the gaskets.  Easy replacement, even in-car.  Cylinders and rings are incredibly durable.

• Like 1

Yes you should save it. I bought an 86 Brat as a project about a month ago. It has needed a lot of work but overall I am very happy that I picked it up. I get comments all the time from people when I drive it around town. It's one of those cars that makes people smile.  The first time I took it in to try to get it pass emissions, the tech came out smiling telling me how when he was a kid his mom had one.  It made my day to see it bring such a positive reaction to someone who probably tests 20 cars a day.

• Like 1

More info. 78 Brat, non-turbo, blue, with rear shell. Supposedly it was restored 20 years ago or so. Interior is supposed to be super clean, no accidents, original paint. BUT one of the pistons went through the block. So I'm assuming I will need a whole new motor. Anyone have any suggestions on who I can contact for something of this magnitutde?

Well, so much for my theory on it being an electrical problem.

'78 would be an EA71 engine. Car-part.com is a good place to search for needed stuff. Use BRAT, Sedan, Wagon to open up more possibilities of finding another EA71 engine.

There are other engine/trans possibilities, but they would require some modifications. Some easy, some involved.

Well, so much for my theory on it being an electrical problem.

'78 would be an EA71 engine. Car-part.com is a good place to search for needed stuff. Use BRAT, Sedan, Wagon to open up more possibilities of finding another EA71 engine.

There are other engine/trans possibilities, but they would require some modifications. Some easy, some involved.

Thanks Tom. I'll check there first. Some of the information that website pulls up is a little bit on the thin side. Would you suggest swapped a whole new motor in or try to rebuild it with good parts?

If you have a hole in the case, then you need a new engine. EA71 is only option for direct swap.

An EA81 and it's D/R 4-speed can be swapped in fairly easy if you have the knowledge/capability to do so. It would be the easiest swap if an EA71 can't be located.

That is just going by what I've read on here, no actual hands-on experience.

Ideally I would like to find the EA71 motor to do a simple swap. I say simple but I've never even done an engine pull or install before. I found on ebay a complete rebuild kit for about $400 but that would only help if the block was in okay shape. I should be picking this thing up tomorrow. Stay tuned for a photo overload.

4 to 6 Grand?? Wow,    Where can I sell mine.Sorry but that seems pretty steep... If the body and intrior was mint and i was rich, i might got for a $1000.So many folks think that there brats are worth so much but when it boils down to it... not so much. I mean If you had a really clean, stock,low mile brat ,even then  I've never seen one go for over a 3 grand.But anyway,too bad the guy was so greedy.those little 1600 4x4's brats were bullet proof.That was my first 4x4 subaru 20 some years ago.. Great gas milage and would go any where.We used to do the motorcycle trails with em ..I have never seen a rebuilt Subaru engine in all the years I have been messing with them.We were going to rebuild one but when we looked up all the cost ,we figures it was easer to just get a used engine or the 40,000 mile import engines that were around years ago.I so wish I would have bought a dozen or so,Nice stash....So If you do get it and get a good engine in it you WILL have a 4x4 that will last you for years....keep lookin, the right one will come along for you,You'll be glad you got it...,Todd.  PS 5 or 6 hundred might be a fair deal,If all was persentable.. PPSS sorry I didn't look to see where you called home,L.A......mabey a grand is fair haha,Hey whats fair in LA....I bet not many subaru 4x4's are down your way,thus driving up the price...still its only where two fools met,One to offer the price...the other to pay it.... haha  oh how I love your sunshine !!!

Edited by old sub freak