Ultimate Subaru Message Board

transmission leak, anyone help?

My 93 Impreza L wagon has a bad tranny leak. My regular mechanic doesnt have the neccesary means to do a diagnostic to see exactly where the leak is coming from. I have an appointment Tuesday to have another shop due the test. However my question is this: has anyone heard of a tranny going bad? I have know about the leak for some time, about two years when I put a new clutch in. Since then it has become one of my regular "checks" when I put fuel in; oil, power stearing, antifreeze, wiper fluid. I would only have to add fluid maybe once a month until now. Because of the intensity of the leak, I have to add fluid everytime I start the vehicle. My regular mechanic thinks the leak is originating from inside the tranny due to the fact he cannot find the leak by looking under the hood, behind the passenger front wheel nor underneath. Can anyone offer suggestions or anything else that may help me? Anything is greatly appreciated!

Is it automatic transmission? If so a few times people have said the oil seal between the trans input and the front diff went bad. I can't remember which way it goes but if the ATF leaks into the front diff, it could then leak out the breather tube at the top and onto the highway maybe without leaving much evidence of where it went. Just brainstorming. If gear oil gets into the ATF that's bad, the sulfur based EP additive in gear oil eats up the friction materials.

double-seal-atf-gear-oil-4eat-1.jpg

Edited by porcupine73

Probably the input shaft seal. Those tend to go bad if the input shaft bearings are going bad and have play. It lets the end of the input shaft "walk around" a bit and it wears out the seal.

When driving the ring gear in the front differential throws oil directly onto the back side of this seal, so they tend to leak quite a bit if you do a lot of highway driving.

Only way to replace it is to split the case. There's a thread about it called "Easy front seal replacement" or something to that effect.

I took my Suby to a shop where they used a lift. They informed me the front main seal only leaks when accelerating and also think it is a bearing issue. I'm more than likely going to buy the parts via rockauto, based on the diagnosis does anyone know exactly which parts I will need?

"Easy front seal replacement"

I did a write up on this excact repair.  Search.

I would replace the large bearing on the upper shaft in addition to the one at the front and the seal.

CNY_Dave......the Automatics the pinion bearing is in the gear lube.  Sealed behind that by 2 skirt seals between the diff and trans (mounted in the pump body, 2 of same seal one each way)

Which of the following do I need to purchace?

Input Shaft Bearing

Input Shaft Bearing

Input Shaft Repair Sleeve

Input Shaft Repair Sleeve

Input Shaft Seal

Input Shaft Seal

Output Shaft Repair Sleeve

Output Shaft Repair Sleeve

Output Shaft Seal

Output Shaft Seal

Shift Shaft Repair Sleeve

Shift Shaft Repair Sleeve

Shift Shaft Seal

Shift Shaft Seal

I'm on rockauto and I'm not getting very far with the lists I am offered. Thank you for all your help!

The bearing you need is only available from a dealer. You can get the input seal there as well.

Part numbers:

Seal: 806725090 $8.97

Ball bearing: 806225100 $66.48

Needle bearing: 806427020 $32.67

The ball bearing is the one that normally fails and it usually makes quite a racket while its on its way down the tube, but the beginning signs can be subtle and last for 15-20k miles before becoming apparently bad.

Open your door with the engine running, trans in Nuetral. Listen closely as you depress and release the clutch pedal in about 3-5 second intervals. If the mainshaft ball bearing is bad you'll hear a muted whirling type sound, usually very faint, as you release the clutch. The sound will continue until you press the clutch down, it will then disappear entirely. When you release the clutch the sound will return again.

If you tear down the trans to replace the ball bearing the needle bearing at the front should be replaced as well. If your trans does not make the noise described above then you may only need the seal, but that still requires splitting the case to replace.