Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

I Think My Head Gasket Just Blew

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 alaskaloyale

alaskaloyale

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts
  • Fairbanks Alaska

Posted 17 November 2013 - 12:14 AM

How possible is it to replace your own head gasket on an ea82?i just drive my car to a restaurant, was running fine when I went there. Sat in the cold for an hour or two, and then when I drove it away it was stumbling and misfiring, smelled like burnt rubber, white pasty looking stuff on the inside of the oil cap, oil was much lower than it was before.

#2 ferox

ferox

King of the Echo People

• Members
  • 853 posts
  • Portland, Oregon

Posted 17 November 2013 - 02:38 AM

How possible is it to replace your own head gasket on an ea82?i just drive my car to a restaurant, was running fine when I went there. Sat in the cold for an hour or two, and then when I drove it away it was stumbling and misfiring, smelled like burnt rubber, white pasty looking stuff on the inside of the oil cap, oil was much lower than it was before.

The white pasty stuff is just because you only drive short distances and don't get the engine up to operating temp for extended periods of time.  It's emulsified oil and can just be wiped off.  I would check your distributor rotor and cap and if those check out, then check the timing belts since you smelled burnt rubber.  So far nothing you have described would indicate a blown head gasket, but it sounds like the engine is not firing correctly.

#3 NorthWet

NorthWet

Eeyore Incarnate

• Members
  • 5,039 posts
  • Bremerton, WA

Posted 17 November 2013 - 11:18 AM

^+1

Would help a little to know the year and whether carbureted or fuel injected.

#4 alaskaloyale

alaskaloyale

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts
  • Fairbanks Alaska

Posted 17 November 2013 - 01:38 PM

1988 subaru gl, fuel injected , 5-speed dual-range.

#5 alaskaloyale

alaskaloyale

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts
  • Fairbanks Alaska

Posted 17 November 2013 - 01:38 PM

1988 subaru gl, fuel injected , 5-speed dual-range.

#6 Subruise

Subruise

Official Party Pooper

• Members
  • 1,502 posts
  • pierce county

Posted 17 November 2013 - 02:45 PM

there are plastic covers over your timing belts, they have rubber plugs in them. you can feel in there for tension on the belts. you can also remove the distributor cap and make sure the rotor set screw hasnt backed out. its happened to lots of us. after youve done that make sure the rotor spins when the engine is cranked.

If your coolant doesnt smell like exhaust (check the overflow tank) and you arent seeing billowing clouds of white, probably not hgs

#7 alaskaloyale

alaskaloyale

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts
  • Fairbanks Alaska

Posted 17 November 2013 - 02:55 PM

Thanks, it could very well be the rotor set screw. I replaced the cap and rotor quite recently and may not have tightened it as much as I should have. The engine runs very rough, constantly misfiring, and dies as soon as I take my foot off the gas for a couple seconds. I'll get a good look at the exhaust in the light of day today and really give it thorough once over. I was pretty tired and frustrated when it broke down last night, saw the white stuff on the oil cap, and jumped to conclusions.

#8 Subruise

Subruise

Official Party Pooper

• Members
  • 1,502 posts
  • pierce county

Posted 17 November 2013 - 07:08 PM

pretty sure you have a broken passenger side timing belt. 

#9 alaskaloyale

alaskaloyale

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts
  • Fairbanks Alaska

Posted 18 November 2013 - 03:07 PM

I just ordered a timing belt kit off ebay, hopefully it's of acceptable quality, dramatically cheaper than getting the parts from NAPA. Taking the car apart tonight to confirm that the belts are the problem, but even if they aren't they definitely need to be done. I've never changed them and I have my doubts about the previous owner either.

#10 grossgary

grossgary

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 20,084 posts
  • WV

Posted 18 November 2013 - 04:15 PM

those kits are awesome. run it!

#11 alaskaloyale

alaskaloyale

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts
  • Fairbanks Alaska

Posted 23 November 2013 - 04:36 PM

The Subaru lives!!! It turned out, after all my panic, that Ferox was right. The screw on the rotor had come completely loose and was causing the bad running condition. On the bright side, I now have a timing belt kit ready to install at some point and I've removed the timing belt covers for easy access.

#12 rdweninger

rdweninger

USMB Regular

• Members
  • 496 posts
  • Tillamook, OR

Posted 26 November 2013 - 06:16 PM

I have installed 3 of the ebay kits.   No problems with any of them. 

Better get the timing belts replaced before it gets 'cold' up there.  Sounds like a good project for the weekend.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users