Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I guess I never showed off my Brat

newgen85brat

This is my BRAT currently.  I have never really posted it as I always am fixing or improving something.  I don't have much left so I guess I can show it off now.  I drive it to work daily but it only gets 20mpg and will not accelerate up hills.  It barely holds up hills.  The engine uses no oil and seems to have okay compression but I still think it is weak.  I should be able to go a little faster and not drop to 40 mph up hills on highway.  The current mods are:  I have a 2 inch home made lift on it but want to drop the cross member one more inch to lower angles.  I do not want to cut fenders to turn so I will crank the front struts to full height essentially making it a 3 inch front, 2 Inch back.  I used bed liner on the inside bed and up to the trim line on the sides.  The pain was good but the clear coat shot so I shot new clear coat on it to save it for a while.  The roll bar is original as I bought the rig for 800 with a broken crank?  (It tried to start but locked up and the crank pulley looks to be at an odd angle plus the disty shaft rose up 3/8 inch.) Never tore into that motor but am planning on a full rebuild including practicing porting/polishing. I have a Weber on it, new clutch etc.  I dug up factory mud flaps and painted them red to match the roll bar.  The cow (deer) pusher on front was from a 95 Toyota pickup.  Tires are 10ply BFGs.  14 inch Nissan rims and converting to 6 bolt hubs.  SAAB seats. All the work I have done has been on my own and some hit and miss.  Most all came from help and lurking on posts.  It is really pretty easy to do.  It gets huge attention and offers to buy it for hunting etc.  (Sadly, to sell it would take around 3 grand to break even). 

Like I said this winter's project is a "new" built EA81, lower cross member, rear class 1 receiver, a better alternator system, fix the A/C, (I need a hose from the drier to the cooler) more LED's and maybe more bed liner under the body.

I had a Polaris Ranger I hardly used and sold it to put this into it's place. It is a great hunting, farm service and work vehicle. 

Thanks everyone for helping whether you realized it or not.   Some of my pics are before lift and tires.      

post-29740-0-32571100-1384821202_thumb.jpg

post-29740-0-29723200-1384821226_thumb.jpg

post-29740-0-44912200-1384821267_thumb.jpg

post-29740-0-11100800-1384821299_thumb.jpg

post-29740-0-75177200-1384821322_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

• 2 months later...