Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Repairing leaking gaskets on t tops for 86 brat

Im looking to see if anyone has any awesome ways of repairing or re-sealing the gaskets on my t tops for my 86 brat.

its seems they are leaking through the latch on the outer side. one on the locking latch as well in the middle.

Id assume i could probably open them up and put sealant in there. but before i do that i am looking for the best ways to do it.

Do some research many Silicons are Acid Cure and you can smell it when you use them these can and do cause rust, What you want is known as Neutral Cure Silicon as it is not acid based curing system, It is also what you must use for sealing electrical connections for waterproofing to avoid corrosion issues, They even make what is known as Flowable Silicon for sealing Electrical components.

Do some research many Silicons are Acid Cure and you can smell it when you use them these can and do cause rust, What you want is known as Neutral Cure Silicon as it is not acid based curing system, It is also what you must use for sealing electrical connections for waterproofing to avoid corrosion issues, They even make what is known as Flowable Silicon for sealing Electrical components.

The only times I've run into acid cure silicone is in industrial applications and the tubes that come in Felpro gasket kits. Permatex does not state whether their products are acid cure or not, but they do not give off the sharp smell associated with acetic acid, and I have never seen them harm paint or cause rusting issues

Sometimes it's not a leaking gasket.  When you remove a t-top it's just like a catch basin in the roof and the water needs to drain off.  On the passenger side there's a drain hole which is there to drain off any extra water.  Drain hole is just above the door pillar (right front) and that hole allows the water drain off in the front fender area.  As old as some of our cars are, the drain is clogged.  Run a coat hanger down the drain hole and and pour some water down it to be sure it drains properly.  Repeat the process on the driver's side.

• 3 months later...

My T tops are leaking on the inner side of the top with the two pieces that slide into the slots

water is sliding down the pseudo hinges and getting into the slots one side leaks into the cab

the other side just holds the water

If I take out all the bolts Silicone it and stick it back on wont I just be holding water in the slots and waiting for it to rust?

I think im going to try to add a rubber strip above the slots so water avoids them completely

But I dunno what do you guys think?