Ultimate Subaru Message Board

1992 Loyale diagnostic connectors

Hello everyone,

I am hoping to get some help with a problem I'm having with my 1992 Loyale.

The engine keeps turning off and will not re-start for 10-20 minutes. There is no spark of spark is

intermittent. It will spark occasionally but not often enough to start the car until some time has passed.

The coil was replaced with a new unit but the old one was actually within listed OHM specs when I listed it.

The check engine light did go on which is why I'm posting this note.

Can anyone tell me where the green diagnostic connectors are on my 1992 Loyale as well as the black memory connectors?

I bought a Haynes manual but it does not list the location of the connectors. It does warn me not to "Jump" the incorrect connectors to avoid shorting out something else.

I've also seen several posts describing similar problems and have seen several solutions including replacing knock sensors, crank position sensors, ignition control modules, as well as others.

Being able to pull the codes will hopefully lead me in the right direction.

Any help with this will be appreciated.

Jesse

When the trouble happens again you need to verify that power is getting to the 'plus' side of the coil. The 'minus' side of the coil should make a test light probe blink while you are cranking the engine. Always check power to the ignition system first whenever it has a problem

The test connectors should be near the ECU located under the dash above the steering column.

Thank you Gloyale and Cougar.

I found the green connectors in the engine bay as Gloyale mentioned. there is no small black connectors but there are 2 white and a larger single black

connector that doesn't have the corresponding male plug.

When I plug the 2 green connectors together and turn on the ignition, I can hear 2 clicks that evenly repeat about every 2 seconds or so from each other as well as well as in between sets. It's almost like something turns on then turns off. The check engine light stays on but does not blink.

I did get a code from the ECU. That code was #35 and it has to do with the evaporative purge system. That wouldn't make the car turn off I believe.

Does anyone have any experience with this type of problem? I experienced this type of problem with an old Chevy a few years ago. The Ignition Module would heat up and then fail. The car would turn off and then restart after the Module cooled off.

Do Subaru Loyale's have a similar Ignition Module?

Thank you in advance for any help I can get on this issue.

Jesse

The car did start this morning and it ran for a couple of minutes before I turned it off then it wouldn't restart.

The igniter module is a common problem.

Thank you Cougar.

I checked the coil to make sure I had power when the engine died today. The coil actually has power but I still get no spark.

I checked the distributor and made sure the cap and rotor were in good shape. The shaft is also solid so that rules out the distributor gear.

I did some research and it appears the problem may be caused by a faulty Igniter Module as Cougar Mentioned, A bad Crank Position Sensor, a bad Coil Pick-up, or a bad Camshaft Position Sensor.

Does anyone know if there is a fuel pressure sensor that would shut off the car if fuel pressure drops too low?

Cougar, Thank you again for all your help. I'll keep post any progress I make concerning the intermittent problem.

Jesse

Hello Cougar,

The pump does go on when the ignition is turned on. I also have power at the coil but no spark when the engine dies or refuses to start.

I'm going to try and work on it some more next Thursday through the weekend since I'll be off work.

Thank you and everyone else for all your help and have and have a great Thanksgiving!

Jesse

• 2 weeks later...

Hello everyone!

I finally got some time to work on my 1992 Loyale. I finally got it to run!

I had no spark so I tested the coil which turned out to be good according to the readings I got. There was power going to the coil

and there was power going to the distributor. I replaced the distributor and the engine started immediately.

It looks like the pick-up had gone bad.

Id like to thank everyone for all your help specially Cougar and Gloyale.

I did manage to get the trouble codes from the ECU but that only told me there is a problem with the purge control solenoid valve (code 35).

I did notice that there are very few Subaru's in my local junkyards. I found 1 Subaru wagon in an Oceanside, Ca. and that was it. I'm going to try more junkyards further south tomorrow.

Thank you all again!

Jesse