Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

1998 Impreza head gasket issues?

1998 2.2 headgasket imprezza

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 luko

luko

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts
  • Wayne, NY AKA Upstate NY

Posted 22 November 2013 - 09:48 PM

I have a 1998 Impreza that I'm thinking about buying, it only has 86,xxx miles on it with the 2.2L, The question I have is If I get it I was going to do the timing belt, water pump and tennioners on it since it's close to that 90,000 mark and with it being an interference engine I rather be safe then sorry.. Anyhow I was wondering since I have it apart should I do the head gaskets, or just leave them alone and run her 

#2 Gloyale

Gloyale

It's a sickness

• Members
  • 8,880 posts
  • Corvallis, OR PNW

Posted 22 November 2013 - 10:56 PM

2.2? I'd leave em alone unless there is signs of problem.

#3 lmdew

lmdew

_______

• Members
  • 2,804 posts
  • Colorado Springs

Posted 23 November 2013 - 06:31 AM

Yes, leave them unless they are leaking.

Also do the oil pump screws and cam and crank seals.

#4 ivans imports

ivans imports

1000+ Super USER!

• Members
  • 2,926 posts
  • lumby bc canada

Posted 23 November 2013 - 11:44 AM

My 2.2 outback sport was leaking on heads kept pushing coolant out overflow i got it up to temp and retorqued all the head blots and it stoped leaking goto love the 2.2

#5 grossgary

grossgary

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 19,642 posts
  • WV

Posted 23 November 2013 - 07:19 PM

never replace EJ22 headgaskets unless they are blown.  they don't blow unless they've been overheated.

yes get one of the gates kits on amazon now for like $130, great deal with new tensioner, pulleys, and belt.  the pulleys are generally not in good shape by now.

reseal the oil pump, tigthen the backing plate screws on the oil pump, use a SUbaru water pump gasket (the aftermarkets are flimsy cardboard).

don't get a much simpler 100,000 miles.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users