Ultimate Subaru Message Board

New soon-to-be-owner down in Florida!

So, how's it going?? My name is Tim, I am 23, live in south west, Florida.

I am looking at the subaru legacy from the 90's, I drove one a while back for flower deliveries, it was a total POS but it NEVER left me stranded (can't say the same about the last few cars I owned...)

little background on the car: Flower delivery vehicle...we beat the piss out of this poor car, and it took it all and asked for more...it had a nasty oil leak so we had to use nasty water/oil..which was a tad more water than oil haha car didn't care at all, ran like a champ!

last day it was alive (owner didn't want to put any more money into it), I was ~40 minuets from home 2 towns north, I come out of a gated community heading back to the flower shop, car SHOOT right, almost hit the curb but I saved it. called into the shop and got the order, "Get it back here if you can, if not leave it on the side of the road and ill come pick you up" I honestly beleive it it wasn't for the amazing AWD under that car it wouldn't have gone anywhere. the RF wheel was on and off locking up and making the car fly around crazily (not really, but drama!) doing roughly 35 in a 45 all the way home...took F.O.R.E.V.E.R! got it home, and I am surprised, shop is, etc etc.

since that day back in 2009 I have loved the subaru legacy wagon, and all wagons, c'mon who doesn't love wagons?!

so I am here to learn what I can about these cars, see if there is performance parts, OEM parts, etc etc etc

and in february I hope to own one of these cars!!!

I am hoping to have a awesome car (already done by owning a subaru!) with a decent performance parts background, my last few cars have had NO performance parts haha

I know perrin have suby stuff so I will be hunting around and seeing what all is out there in the next few weeks

if by "performance" you mean actually fast - a Subaru won't fit the bill, it'll be slow no matter what upgrades you throw at it. 

if by 'performance" you mean you enjoy tinkering and playing around and adding parts, then tear it up.

unless of course you get into turbo Subaru and upgrades - but that is a completely different order of magnitude in terms cost and effort - and the vehicles you're discussing never had turbo engines anyway.

the 2.2 liter motor is much more reliable than the 2.5.  2.5's have lots of head gasket issues...which means most cheap ones have already been through that debacle and may have questionable longevity.

My ideas are coilovers, sway bars, bushings, a EJ22T and 6 speed, might do a WRX swap, I like those haha looks bone stock and has the 'haul rump roast' mode haha I can't really find a price point on a WRX/STi swap, or a EJ22T+6 speed swap, but I will figure that out at a later date, suspension and interior first

I can't really find any websites that have anything for the 90-00 legacy though