Ultimate Subaru Message Board

1976 4WD wagon; drug out of the bushes.

So I have a craigslist ad up, looking for cheap fixer Subarus. I get an email for a "1976 Forester"  which I can only assume is a wagon. I call the lady and have a nice chat about the history of the car (She's had it since 84) and she says "As long as you don't scrap it, you can come get it for free"

Fortunately I borrowed my buddy's big F350, because I had to literally drag the car out of the bushes. However, what came out was fantastic:

20131125_110247_zps36f89ce7.jpg

20131125_110232_zpsf75c80a6.jpg

20131125_110142_zpscae9998e.jpg

There's a little cancer under the fuel door, and under the rear glass, but otherwise the body is good. The windows were left down about an inch, so the interior and upholstery are garbage. All 4 wheels spin, and I think I may have freed up the engine from dragging it in gear!

The plan for right now is to gut it and dry it out. I would like to EJ it since I have 6 of them laying around right now, and I may go D/R or just an EJ 5 speed. This will probably be an incredibly long project as I am still building on my Impreza, and running my shop, but I hope to have built something incredibly cool by the time I'm done.

• Like 1

Pulled it into the shop today and begun gutting the interior in hopes of drying it out.

Engine turns over freely by hand and builds compression. More than I was expecting given that the distro is missing. Oil level is perfect (No water present) and dark (Not scary, just used) and the tranny fluid looks new. Might see if I can get it running as is. (After I source a distributor). All the doors open and close, windows go up and down. Going to hook a battery up tomorrow and see what kind of electrical still works and what needs attention. Also found some sort of tow bumper in the back under all the garbage; though I'm not entirely sure what one would plan to tow with a car this underpowered?

20131127_110748_zpsrpelu31v.jpg

20131127_110718_zpsqmr6vj2c.jpg

Grrrrr....

20131128_184420_zpsupwg2ttj.jpg

20131128_184430_zpshuglesvs.jpg

20131128_184500_zpsxmo5ypbv.jpg

20131128_184552_zps2asxrtvk.jpg

On a different note, I hooked a battery up and got nothing. Then out of the blue, I hear the fuel pump trying to prime. Manage to get the horn to beep, and to get the starter to turn the engine over. So at least some of the electrical is in order. No lights or anything else though, but it's a start.

20131128_184354_zpsf60v4i2f.jpg

Edited by cal_look_zero

Awesome Find and Awesome Project!

... I hear the fuel pump trying to prime. Manage to get the horn to beep, and to get the starter to turn the engine over. So at least some of the electrical is in order. No lights or anything else though, but it's a start.

I Kindly suggest you to look for Rusted Fuses,

and rusted ground contacts; 

it is a common issue.

Kind Regards.

Awesome Find and Awesome Project!

I Kindly suggest you to look for Rusted Fuses,

and rusted ground contacts; 

it is a common issue.

Kind Regards.

Yeah, I'll be redoing the entire wiring, new fuse block, wire ends, etc.

Probably going to order a distributor and carb kit and see if I can get it running.

If it has a ea71(not sure if yours is points or electric since it could be both) in it you can use a distributor out of a ea81 that is electric or one out of a ea82 but you would have to take the gear off the ea82 and drill a new hole to move the gear up. I have both a pionts and electric distributor out of ea71's if you dont have one yet.

If it has a ea71(not sure if yours is points or electric since it could be both) in it you can use a distributor out of a ea81 that is electric or one out of a ea82 but you would have to take the gear off the ea82 and drill a new hole to move the gear up. I have both a pionts and electric distributor out of ea71's if you dont have one yet.

I may take you up on that. I ordered a reman from Oreilly's but then they said it's NLA, so I may just need a good used unit. Shoot me a PM.

What is that round button on the bottom of the tailgate?  

20131125_110232_zpsf75c80a6.jpg

It's some sort of tie down hook, I'm recalling her saying something about using the car to haul their canoe to the lake (Judging by the bent cross bars on the rack, seems legit)

It's some sort of tie down hook, I'm recalling her saying something about using the car to haul their canoe to the lake (Judging by the bent cross bars on the rack, seems legit)

Yeah that makes sence, probably installed it after they broke off the rear wiper blade from using that as a tie down point.  I suspect the demise of the original grill was also due to using it as a tie down anchor for the front.  But the replacement grill looks like a much beefier structure for lashing rope to, and it's real chrome!   

Awsome score, great to see another one saved.