Ultimate Subaru Message Board

1976 4WD wagon; drug out of the bushes.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

"So ugly, it's CUTE!"

gottta love those little beasties, Congratulations!

If I were you I'd drive it to the mall on any Friday night, and park next to those teenagers with their daddys WRX's and laugh out loud, If they even bat an eye you can scream out "Respect your Elders!" then turn up your AM radio and leave them wondering just what the heck just happened.

yup.

Laghingly,

Timothy

• Like 2

• 6 months later...

20131126_093830_zps40bbaae6.jpg

20131126_093844_zps06cdea35.jpg

20131126_103711_zpsfbf8378a.jpg

20131127_110718_zpsqmr6vj2c.jpg

20131127_110748_zpsrpelu31v.jpg

20131128_184354_zpsf60v4i2f.jpg

All of my previous links broke, so here's the pics again.

Haven't made any progress unfortunately. Between running the shop and building the OBSTi up, it's gone to the wayside. Still hoping to find a donor vehicle soon for a wiring harness and some other goods.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Dragging this up from the dead. I'm about to be in possession of a free 92 loyale, and wondering how much, if anything, can swap over to this chassis? I haven't made ANY progress on it since my last posting nearly 2 years ago, but I am looking to get it moved to my shop and start drying it out again and figuring out how much is salvageable.

The wheels would swap over..

EA82 wheels don't fit on the rear of an EA71, mine rubbed on that "arm" that holds the hub in place. too wide. just wanted to throw that out there, now im not sure if you meant EA81 or EA82, never owned an EA81 so don't know too much about them..

If the loyale is a 5 speed 4wd i would swap that in and take all the spfi parts off the ea82. Then get a ea81 short block and swap on the spfi. The wheels would swap over. Rear brakes maybe. Front brakes would work with the right mix of ea82 and ea81 parts and extended radius rods.

This is probably what I would do, or something similar, except that I would look around for a D/R 5MT to rebuild and eventually replace the S/R of the '92 Loyale.  If the Loyale is AT, then I wouldn't bother.  I like original, but I love modern features like FI, especially if the vehicle is to be driven rather than just looked at.  

However, as you probably know, the ea82 front calipers are larger and require the ea82 wheels to clear.  EA81 wheels won't fit on an ea82 for that reason even though the white-spokes look almost identical.

I like building my cars so I can use parts off the shelf, so that means I am more oriented toward new gen EJ stuff when it comes to customizing older Subarus, but I doubt an EJ would fit in that engine bay, certainly not without a lift or some serious customization.  I love old things, but I don't like putting a lot of work into something functional when I know I will have a hard time finding replacement parts now and especially in the future.  If I just want to look at it, that's a different story.

I'm not into the ea82 engine, but I really like the look and ruggedness of the Loyale.  They are getting scarce quickly, so I would be more inclined to lift and EJ the Loyale with either a D/R 5MT or 4EAT and find a '93-'95 Impreza with a EJ18 and do a complete swap over of all the EJ suspension, running gear & brakes, engine, and trans. into/onto the '76.  

It looks like the '76 is significantly skinnier than just about everything newer, so wheelbase going to be a factor if you want to swap out running gear from just about anything newer.  This is of course easy for me to say (that's a lot of time and effort), but that '76 is cool and would be worth the work.  It also depends on how much you want to keep it and drive it.  

Way more opinion than you asked for, but that '76 is damn cool and it looks like it's in salvageable condition.

[i'm also super jealous of that car hauler, so much waaaant]

Edited by ferox