Ultimate Subaru Message Board

insperation moves me brightly

ferp420

youall have inspired me i started a plate style bumper its gona have a bull bar wrap around head light cage that will tie in to a set of tube fender flairs and tie in to the L angle sliders i am looking for ways to lighten up the rig to offset the extra steal i already removed the rear seats i gutted a extra set of rear doors and will be removing the back windows and skinning with sheet metel for a pannel wagon look if anyone has any ideas of where to lose waight would be a great help

20131122_115406_zps2f26be84.jpg

I commend you on the  DIY nature. But I hope your not fooling yourself thinking that electrical conduit will stop damage. LOL

Is that galvanized? If so, weld outside!!

As far as losing weight, using plate material was a bad start if you wanted to do that.....lol

Keep up the Go FOr It attitude!

cheers

I commend you on the  DIY nature. But I hope your not fooling yourself thinking that electrical conduit will stop damage. LOL

Is that galvanized? If so, weld outside!!

As far as losing weight, using plate material was a bad start if you wanted to do that.....lol

Keep up the Go FOr It attitude!

cheers

The plate and the conduit, It all looks galvanized.  Everything except. Those mounting tabs.

Gonna make getting good strong welds kinda tough unless he grinds ALOT of the galv off first.

Even outside he should be using a respirator.  Hexalaventine Chromium is no joke.

the back windows are already painted over im trying for the pannel wagon look and its all galinized for the most part the tube is 1/8 thick tube no conduit and plenty strong i ran it on my old ranger and beat the isht out of it and it was alot heavyer than this rig i got alot of steel im adding thats why im trying to loose as much unneccicary waight my goal is to remove as much as i add to stay as close to stock waight or less if posable its mounting with 1/4" stock through the plate and will be doubled up and used as Dring shackle mounts its gona have a 2" reciver in it aswell instead of mounting the winch on the front and skidplate mounted to the crossmember im welding out side and a old timer showed me a quick way to remove the galvi coating no grinding needed just paint on the right acid and smoke one by the time you come back to it just needs a wire brush down and good to go but the rust on the stock will need alot of grinding this is mostly for looks but should be plenty strong for a little loyale

It takes a very slight temperature rise for Galvanizing to turn poisonous. Just saying.

If you see that little yellow smoke, its too late. You already inhaled it.

And depending on how long the weld is you can have breathed it in for a more than a few seconds.

It WILL codswallop you up. But the negative effects can be surpassed by drinking milk, and or having a larger lipid count in your system.

However , it is like Carbon monoxide, once it has built up in your system their is a saturation point.And it wil kill you.

cheers

Edited by monstaru
  • Like 1

so i was thinking of building a role bar out of 1"tube maybe 1 1/4" just wounderin if any one.has.had the unfotunate luck of roling a ea82 wagon and or has pics of one roled my last parts wagon was roled and repaired befor i got it the repair rusted away thats why i scraped it but anyway there so light would i just be adding unecicary waight im thimking 1hoop and 2straight braces like a pick up just behind the drivers seat simple and hopefully wont add to much waight also any one know stock.waight of a ea82 wagon i can waigh my car when im finnished but im not sure what im shooting for