Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Let's talk about GEN 2 Interior colors

I want to put together a very nice interior for my 80 hatch. That's got me thinking of the colors that these interiors were offered in.

I have seen:

navy

gray

that weird dark mustard

beige

and that's it. I do think there are two different shades of grey, one a medium shade the other a light shade. I believe the blue interiors in the earliest gen 2 years were a bit lighter and brighter than the true navy interiors that came a little later. Any other colors That I am unaware of? Ever seen black interior in a gen 2?

What about carpet?

What about headliners, I have only really ever noticed them being Light gray or a super soft baby blue.

The only stock color that I know of that will look good in my hatch would be the darker grey.  I am already thinking I may just paint all of the paint-able pieces, as I have been told there are really good paints for that now. I have a good dash that is the weird mustard interior (dash itself is an unattractive creamy brown with those interiors) so I definitely will have to paint a minimum of that.

I have a good complete navy interior that I can paint, or if anyone reads this and has a grey interior to trade, drop me a line. Or if you have pieces I might be interested in.

I've got a black EA81 sedan, with a very dark grey interior.  Could have been black when new but it's faded now.  Black and grey seats, and black carpet, Black and Grey door cards, but a very light gray headliner.  It's a rare 4wd Sedan with all the GL-10 goodies, but it's not a GL-10.......except the plush seats....but it has sunroof, PS, PW, Cruise, Digi-dash, and A/C.

My White EA81 wagon had the navy blue

And my maroon brat has the beige interior.

I think I've seen a silver 2wd GL-10 coupe that had a very light blue/silvery interior.

If I weren't trying to keep it "all original"  I would mix some tan interior pieces into the black sedan.  Black n' Tan Sedan yo!

Edited by Gloyale

My '89 DL wagon has what at one time was a dark blue interior. Kind of French blue now. The dash is mostly in good condition, but sun faded and splotchy. The kid at advance auto hooked me up with some vinyl spray paint that I'm going to try. I'm thinking I'll use TSP or something like that on it first, then give her a couple coats.

It seems that no one makes replacement door panels, so I may have to take a run at making my own...or cover them with blue duct tape! :-)

John

I've got a black EA81 sedan, with a very dark grey interior.  Could have been black when new but it's faded now.  Black and grey seats, and black carpet, Black and Grey door cards, but a very light gray headliner.  It's a rare 4wd Sedan with all the GL-10 goodies, but it's not a GL-10.......except the plush seats....but it has sunroof, PS, PW, Cruise, Digi-dash, and A/C.

My White EA81 wagon had the navy blue

And my maroon brat has the beige interior.

I think I've seen a silver 2wd GL-10 coupe that had a very light blue/silvery interior.

If I weren't trying to keep it "all original"  I would mix some tan interior pieces into the black sedan.  Black n' Tan Sedan yo!

your black sedan interior intrigues me. Could you post or send me some pics? seats, doors etc. I would love to put a black and dark grey interior in my hatch. Balck carpet, I do not recall seeing in a gen 2.

The only problem might be the interiors offered with pieces available for a hatchback.  The longest running of the body styles but never any GL-10 or fancy optioned cars.  Sure, coupe and such pieces will fit forward of the rear of the door seam but from there back nothing really is going to look good without a color matched paint of some kind.  For a factory look I would go Grey or Dark blue as there are more of those than most and there is blue and grey variants from 80-87 if you look hard enough.  

For mine,  I would do whatever color you can get an uncracked dash of.  With the bright red exterior I think I would do grey interior.  

Im also not sure I would trust interior paint with our sun baking environment.  

I use the dupli-color vinyl paint. The Texas heat hasn't done it in, yet. Been on one door panel for a year now. 

I hope to be getting my dash ready to paint. That'll be the real test.

I feel like i have seen an EA81 coupe with black interior on here before. Maybe Turbone can chime in as he seems to know the coupes pretty well.

would still like pictures of dark grey or black ea81 interiors. I am willing to paint all interior pieces, I am DEFINATELY not installing that ugly brown dash. I have a near perfect navy interior now, it just doesn't feel right in the car, which is a pretty bright and deep red with a lot of black trim. as far as hatch only interiors grey and black will be more forgiving to match. the front carpet in coupe is the same as hatch. I am not putting rear seats in my hatch, and  the front seats I can do a good seatcover. I would mostly have to paint the rear and middle side pieces. I have heard there are excellent vinyl and plactic paints for this aplication.  BratRod please post your results, I have the dash and would like to paint it soon.

yeah thats what I meant by dark mustard. I only recall seeing that color in 80-82 cars, I have had two with that interior, both 80 hatchbacks, one a white dl and one a pale yellow 4wd STD. It's not my favorite, but I guess it's cool in a retro way. definately dated looking. That one is particularly clean Bratrod. I have a clean dash that color that I pulled from a 81 white gl wagon. that's the one I am going to paint. Thanks for posting. Did you get my pm about the bushings you were looking for?

Yes I did get your PM. I just haven't checked the bushings. Buying parts on Ebay always scares me, but they're cheap enough I might just bite the bullet.

As for the interior - I don't know. I found it in the old gen pic thread (20 something). I would guess so due to the glove box looking kind of off. But who knows; plastic fades funny. 

• 4 weeks later...

c'mon, post pics of dark grey or black gen 2 interiors.

Here ya go.

First....The car.......not a pretty picture right now but she's a Gem. 

IMG_0686_zpsf58c7ec4.jpg

Factory 4wd sedan optioned possibly a "Black Diamond" package........everything for GL-10 except the plush seats. Cruise, Power steering, Power Windows, Sunroof, Digidash, Alloy wheels, and Air Conditioning.  This factory 4wd sedan was only produced for USDM and only for one year.

IMG_0685_zps8d7717fb.jpg

IMG_0683_zps10a7ffce.jpg

IMG_0681_zps72b5b0a5.jpg

IMG_0677_zpsd71a28a9.jpg

IMG_0673_zps51605ba5.jpg

DigiDash had been swapped before I got it.  Bummer cause I'd really love to believe this was the original mileage.

IMG_0687_zpsaffdf202.jpg

Mind that the Carpet is from 91 turbo legacy.  Front seats are

Heated Outback.  Rear seat back is from 2003 Legacy sedan.  Only part of

the rear seat remaining is the lower.......and it's pretty ugly.

IMG_0678_zps26e0d287.jpg

My brat has the tan interior which looks good with the bright red my brat is. The hatch back I got my radiator support off of had a black interior including carpet but very dirty. I'm mad at my self for not getting the center arm rest in it, its not the high console for power windows it bolts on the transmission tunnel and sits a couple of inches above the parking brake console. The hatch back was the same color as my two turbo wagons which is the light sparkly blue which goes together fairly good with a black interior.

thanks for posting the grey interior. that is the darker grey that i like and would consider for my hatch. The original DL interior for my hatch was a lighter grey that I didn't like.

I am still intrigued by the notion of a black interior, which with the above mentioned hatch has been mentioned here a couple times. Please anyone with a gen 2 black interior please post a pic if you can, I do not recall ever seeing one.

as I mentioned I am considering painting all the hard plastic pieces as well as my dash. I wonder what the seats looked like that went with a black interior. Of course I can use or make seat covers.

Has anyone ever dyed carpet?