Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

1985 Subaru Brat Roll Bar

brat roll bar 1985

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 golucky66

golucky66

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Barkhamsted Connecticut

Posted 01 December 2013 - 01:58 PM

I recently acquired a 1985 Subaru Brat. I want to install the rear jump seats which I have but I'd rather not put anyone in them without having a roll bar. I don't know everything about Brats. Does a 1985 4 speed manual even comes factory with a roll bar? I was wondering if anyone has one or how/where to get it made. I'd rather it be original if it had one but when ever I search any for sale sites there is never a roll bar for a Brat. 

Edited by golucky66, 01 December 2013 - 02:03 PM.

#2 golucky66

golucky66

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 01 December 2013 - 02:02 PM

Also, where exactly does it attach to. Do they attach right behind the cab and the wheel well?

#3 turbosubarubrat

turbosubarubrat

2nd gen hoarder

• Members
  • 1,037 posts
  • Sandy, OR

Posted 01 December 2013 - 02:30 PM

look at my thread link below for pictures of where the roll bar mounts. Mine is from a 1st gen that was cut down to fit because the roll bars for brats are very hard to find no matter what generation. Your going to have to find a fabrication shop that does tubing work or find a roll bar for a small truck like a ford ranger and cut it down to fit. Also any second generation brat will have the same roll bar besides whether its the high or low style.

#4 golucky66

golucky66

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 01 December 2013 - 03:39 PM

I was looking at your pictures, I see it can tell it attaches to the wheel well. So I'm also assuming it attaches somewhere is the corners near the cab.

But after looking at my truck it doesn't even appear that a roll bar can attach anywhere default from factory. 

#5 turbosubarubrat

turbosubarubrat

2nd gen hoarder

• Members
  • 1,037 posts
  • Sandy, OR

Posted 01 December 2013 - 04:46 PM

You drill holes in the bed which is what people had to do when it was installed even at the dealer when they were new. I have 2 78's that have factory roll bars and they were drilled and bolted in.

#6 odie

odie

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 131 posts
  • CC, TX

Posted 03 December 2013 - 09:29 AM

I have a roll bar I picked up recently...haven't messed with installing it yet but it looks to require drilling for all the mounts... I may not even use it.

#7 SuperBrat

SuperBrat

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 285 posts
  • north idaho

Posted 03 December 2013 - 10:51 AM

A factory roll bar should bolt to the holes that mount the rear seat belts in 85 brats because thay came with seats, 86 and 87 did not so they mingt not have the seat belt holes for the bolts ..........double check the year of your brat.....

#8 millhouse

millhouse

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
  • West Virginia

Posted 03 December 2013 - 07:24 PM

I have a roll bar I picked up recently...haven't messed with installing it yet but it looks to require drilling for all the mounts... I may not even use it.

Would you be interested in selling your roll bar?

#9 odie

odie

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 131 posts
  • CC, TX

Posted 10 December 2013 - 10:05 AM

not sure at this point. I still need to get inspected and on the road. It will be a little while before I even contemplate trying to install it.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: brat, roll bar, 1985

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users