Ultimate Subaru Message Board

TQ Came Off During Engine Removal - Need Help

Thanks for the info and insight. Dang it, I looked at o-ring and thought about replacing but got side tracked and didn't. TC is back on already so now I need to decide if I want to go back down that road.

Oh, yeah wanted to ask again about the trans pan magnet. Is it normal for that thing to be covered in a greasy type sludge?

If you haven't installed the trans yet I'd do that o-ring.  You've got the hang of the TC seating now huh???  pretty easy and it would suck to have the delay issue rear up from the o-ring leaking.

Sludge on the magnet is normal.....to some extent.  Shouldn't be more than about a teaspoons worth of material stuck to that magnet.  It's worn friction material.

Thanks for the info and insight. Dang it, I looked at o-ring and thought about replacing but got side tracked and didn't. TC is back on already so now I need to decide if I want to go back down that road.

Oh, yeah wanted to ask again about the trans pan magnet. Is it normal for that thing to be covered in a greasy type sludge?

Some greasy sludge is normal.

If you haven't installed the trans yet I'd do that o-ring.  You've got the hang of the TC seating now huh???  pretty easy and it would suck to have the delay issue rear up from the o-ring leaking.

Sludge on the magnet is normal.....to some extent.  Shouldn't be more than about a teaspoons worth of material stuck to that magnet.  It's worn friction material.

OK, so sounds like I'll be taking the TC off again to replace that o-ring. 

As for if I have the hang of seating the TC yet, not sure! I haven't re-installed the motor yet to determine if it's indeed seated all the way. To me it looks seated but honestly both times it wasn't too hard to get to what I  believe is seated. This makes me question if it actually is since so many say it's a difficult task. Have you seated one on for the Phase 2 ever? I've never seen one seated so just hoping I getting it seated at this point.

Too bad your just a little too far south I would love an experienced set of eyes to take a look and tell me what they think.

Went to two Subaru dealers and no luck in obtaining the Input Shaft o-ring. Second dealer told me the part has been superseded but neither part was stocked locally. Would like to replace but since it's unavailable not sure what I'm going to do, really need to get this car back together. It's been in pieces since Thanksgiving :(

Picked up my engine tonight from the Machine shop. They were able to install the rear crank sleeve and RMS. Machinist told me it wasn't easy but he got it. Glad I spared myself the pain and paid the $25 at this point. Let's pray that thing doesn't leak.

Decisions, decisions,,,, order a $2.00 o-ring and have to wait another week or try and get this thing dropped in and back together?? 

Just wanted to thank all you guys who helped and contributed to this thread.Happy to say I dropped the engine back in today and while I didn't finish the install the TC was perfect. I can say without a doubt that I had the thing seated twice when I thought that it wasn't. As a few said the easiest way to know it's seated is when you drop the motor back in, you should have about an 1/8" gap between the flywheel. This is exactly how things looked.  Looking back it actually wasn't too difficult to seat but the anxiety of having never done it and not knowing if it was correct was my problem!

I regret to report that due to not being able to obtain the input shaft o-ring I wasn't able to change it. Hopefully this won't lead to the shift engagement delay mentioned. I really wanted to change it but I can have this thing down anymore the OD just went out on our Pathfinder, looks like my next work is already cut out for.

It amazes me to read how quick some members can tear these cars down and throw back together as it has taken me quite a bit of time. I have however forgot how some things go back together since it's been awhile since taking it apart. The Haynes manual I have doesn't cover it all that great in detail. I've been reading the FSM too but the manual even though it says it for an 03 there's a good bit different, maybe because it's for the foreign models :confused: .

Hopefully tomorrow I'll be able to finish getting things together and she'll run without having anymore issues. :horse:

Edited by subaruUser

Decisions, decisions,,,, order a $2.00 o-ring and have to wait another week or try and get this thing dropped in and back together?? 

LOL, I have to say I live in Brasil, and the government here is so stupid with importations that you actually have to wait sometimes about 90 days to have something cleared of customs.

Most stuff subaru has in-stok, but if you are lucky enough to need that single part that's not stocked in Subaru of Brasil depot - oh my you are F*%#&!

So hey, what's waiting another week?

I hear you Pierbon and your post made me smile. Guess I've just grown inpatient since I've had this thing in pieces for just about 90 days :)

Actually got the car together over the past weekend. Good news is it started up and runs, bad news made a weird noise when starting and immediatly threw code P0748. Trans light flashing non-stop. Shifts hard on engagement and goes straight to 4th (fail-safe mode). No other drive gears work. Bit of research I did on new issue shows solenoid probably damaged from removal error of jacking on trans pan.

Might just have to throw the towel in and take it to a shop at this point. Fear I may have broke something else in there.