Ultimate Subaru Message Board

in some ways - 00-09 4 cylinder non-turbos are all nearly identical, minor differences.  engines, trans, suspension can all be swapped in various ways/forms without much issue.

00-04 would probably get my vote but they're also older and prone to more miles, more age, more rust. so the minor advantages they may have is offset by age/miles/condition. "best" is highly subjective.

best bet is to familiarize yourself with headgasket issues and go from there. all EJ25's have headgasket issues so you'd be well advised to learn what to look for and how to approach that issue.

in some ways - 00-09 4 cylinder non-turbos are all nearly identical, minor differences.  engines, trans, suspension can all be swapped in various ways/forms without much issue.

With that said it really is a choice of your preference in styles and condition of those in your market and price range.

Well I guess then....

What year would be the year with the least amount of issues (head gasket, drivetrain, transmission, etc.)??

I'm looking to spend less than $10,000 and get something with the proper check-ups and paperwork; Ideally less than 10 years old (2004 to present), with less than 100,000 mi and a manual gearbox (Idk if I'm asking too much!?!)

All EJ25's have headgasket concerns.

You could look into H6 engines, but those never came with manual transmissions.  I'd lean towards the better motor and forget the manual transmission myself.  They are excellent engines.

this has more miles than you want but as an example I'd be aiming for something like this:

http://austin.craigslist.org/cto/4225602491.html

Cinci: but the add is dead wrong it says "new timing belt" when that car has a chain that isn't replaced:

http://cincinnati.craigslist.org/ctd/4225814633.html

The turbo engines are awesome but I wouldn't want one unless it can be verified the oil changes were done on time and always with synthetic. They are prone to issues if not. And they're pricey so may be hard to meet your stipulations.

http://cincinnati.craigslist.org/cto/4220182940.html

2001 Imprezas were the last ones that were availbable with the 2.2 liter engines.  Great engines and would be easy to find one with low miles for way under your price.  Be a great platform for another reliable, inexpensive, 150,000+ miles.

If you have any inclination or ability to stretch yourself and buy from the south or west you are at a huge advantage.  They have much less corrossion and rust.  And while it'll be easy to find one without any notable signs or issues from rust - they'll still have exhausts that will rust out in time and brake, strut, hose clamps, and other parts that are likely to corrode in time as well due to winters/salt. 

In any event - rust is probably the major thing I'd look for in a purchase. Exhaust and suspension components should be a good indicator of condition.

Body style changed in 2005 so an 05+ is likely to "feel less aged" as well and might be a better long term fit depending what kind of car owner you are.  If you'll feel out of the loop in a few years with an old body style for instance, some people do.

Since you guys are suggesting 2004ish outback with 150,000 miles should I be looking in that area then?

Its a tossup for me between the outback and legacy. I don't need the room of the outback but it wouldn't hurt.

I don't quite know as much about the H6 engine; problems? Issues? Reliably? Etc...

but,

I did I bit of research tonight... seems like for the legacy and outback 2004 and 2006 or 2007-2010 seem like good options. Ideas

The H6 engines are awesome. Two of our family daily drivers are H6 engines because of how good they are. No timing belts to change, direct ignition, no spark plug wires either - 200,000 miles is a breeze with little to no maintenance but spark plugs.  (mine have 220,000 and 175,000 and i plan on 300k).  Gas mileage is less than 4 cylinders but it's flat in Cinci so should fair okay depending what kind of driving you do.

Legacys handle nice - close to the ground and tight.  But they're lower to the ground and some people like getting into the higher stanced outback.  personal preference.  Legacy will have better gas mileage and fewer CV boot replacements due to less angles. Outbacks need CV boots all the time, the legacys can see far more miles due to less angles. Not a big deal really, just one small maintenance item.

If the 2010/2011 Legacy/Outback got an improved headgasket - which i feel like AWD Auto mentioned something about (google them) - that might be something to consider if you can land in one of those.

a 100,000 mile 4 cylinder is around the timing belt maintenance mark.  and i'd prefer getting one that *has not* been done that way i can assure it's done right - a complete timing belt kit rather than just the belt like Subaru dealers do. or personally i'd just get it and do it myself no matter if it's been done or not any way to make sure all the pulleys and tensioners are done.  kits are $130 on amazon.  but dealers charge $450 (pittsburgh) - $700 (maryland) just to do the belt alone.

• Like 1

Does the legacy come in an H6?

What would the difference be between a 4-cyl and an H6 be?

I saw that you guys are suggesting H6s with significantly more miles that what I was looking for, is that because of the reliability? Realistically how many miles should an H6 last?

I come from a background of suvs and trucks; jeep grand cherokee, gmc jimmy, another jeep, dodge Dakota, and did I mention another jeep grand cherokee. I do have a Mazda miata too. That I drive bite for gas mileage.

I do about 80 miles a day now, but in 6 months it will significantly go down. So.... Considering, would you do a legacy or outback? ( if the legacy doesn't come in a H6?

The H6 seems like a better engine overall. It's that true?

Legacy does not come with the H6 - unless there's some newer years that do. www.cars101.com would tell you what vehicles the H6 is available in.

Difference between 4 and 6 - simply look at cars101.com and let it inform you of any quesiton you have, size, space, cargo, HP, trim options, vehicles, models, years.

I posted those simply as an illustration, get one with 100k as you originally intended.

I'd expect 250,000 miles out of an H6, 300k isn't that big of a deal either. i'm planning on 300k+ out of mine, at 220k now.  i just blew the transmission (my fault) and am repairing it with the idea it's still got 100k or so in it otherwise it would be worth my time to repair.

"Better" is so subjective you'll get every answer in the book.  The H6 so far has appeared to be an excellent engine.  Low maintenance, no issues, capable of high miles. There have been a few H6 headgasket failures, they seem rare - but correlation does not mean causation - one has to guess as to whether they're rare because there's fewer H6's or because the issue is less prevalent.  I'm still of the mindset that they're a better motor, for me.

It's not a truck at all.  obvious, but truck guys can easily dislike Subarus.

would you do a legacy or outback?

The Outback is based on the Legacy platform - same basic car with a few added features/upgrades/styling cues...wagon to wagon, they are virtually the same.

A regular Legacy can easily be "upgraded" to Outback suspension and other "creature comforts" interior wise (like heated leather seats) - the only real difference then would be exterior appearance & engine.

However - if you want the H6, then Outback would be the choice, since the H6 was not (as far as we know) available in the regular Legacy line-up.

Loved my 2001 legacy with the 2.5 and 5 speed, bought it with 66,xxx miles I swapped the interior out of an Outback into her, then less than a year later smacked a deer and totaled her with only 125,xxx and not a spot of rust, pretty good for NY (washed her at least once a week) 

So... After doing so research I think I'm going to look at the outback. I like the idea of the H6 and it's durability. Does the H6 come in a manual transmission?

If I were looking to spend about $10,000. What type of miles should i look at. And to change the base question.... West are the better year outbacks with the H6 engine???

www.cars101.com

00-04 and 05+ 3.0's aren't much different in terms of one platform being notably better than the other.  the 05's get active or variable valve components and a bump in power from it.  otherwise they're basically the same.

in some ways a newer body style stays fresh longer - most people like it longer, holds resale better, etc.

I've been thinking about the H6 past couple of days. I came from Wikipedia to here and this article I think has me confused on the years and what had what.

My daily driver is a 3.0 24 valve, but not a Subaru. Now I'm thinking I may want the 3.6 for an engine swap. Anyway this Wiki states the second gen 3.0 came with manual trans?

"

• EZ30D: 2999 cc DOHC,
    220ps (161 kW) @6000 rpm, 289Nm@4400 rpm. Bore 89.2 mm, Stroke 80 mm.
    Compression 10.7:1. This version uses one exhaust port per head, a cable
    throttle, variable intake geometry, cast aluminium intake manifold, and
    has a 6500 rpm rev limit. It was only available with an automatic
    transmission. Found in the 2000–2002 Outback H6, Legacy GT30 and Legacy Lancaster 6.

• EZ30D: 2999CC DOHC,
    245ps (180 kW) @6600 rpm, 297Nm@4200 rpm. Bore 89.2 mm, Stroke 80 mm.
    Compression 10.7:1. This version had one exhaust port per cylinder, a
    drive-by-wire throttle, a black plastic intake manifold, VVL and AVCS. It was available in manual and automatic unlike the old EZ30D. Found in the 2003–2009 Legacy 3.0R, Outback 3.0R and 2006–2007 Tribeca.

EZ36D: 3629CC DOHC, 260ps (191 kW) @6000 rpm, 335Nm@4400 rpm. Bore 92 mm, Stroke 91 mm. Compression 10.5:1. Found in the 2010-current Legacy, Outback and 2008-current Tribeca.
The EZ36D incorporated possibly the only implementation of an
asymmetrical connecting rod in a modern application until the
introduction of the FB25. The offset connecting rod was designed to
allow additional displacement from the same exterior dimensions.["

Would you guys go then with a 2007 to present or 00-04 outback with a H6 I did a little research and believe that the H6 is what I'm looking for, but I do want to drive one first, considering I haven't.

Too bad the legacy doesn't come with a H6.....

From what I see it looks like the h6 only comes with the ll bean edition, is that correct?

Could I reasonably find a 07-present outback in my price range or would I have to do. 00-04??

Thanks

P.S. the reason I'm asking is a found a pretty nice outback ll bean but its a 2002. It has about 126xxx and looks to be service records all done by one owner he bought in 2002 brand new.

Edited by bultmajd