Ultimate Subaru Message Board

subaru cooling system conditioner

Hey All,

i just purchased this on ebay for my '89 DL wagon:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/271331659501?ru=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fsch%2Fi.html%3F_sacat%3D0%26_from%3DR40%26_nkw%3D271331659501%26_rdc%3D1

does anyone have any experience regarding this product? i thought it couldn't hurt...i really don't want to pull my engine to fix a head gasket...

john

Edited by suprjohn
  • Like 1

What is your EA82T doing?

That Conditioner was made for one specific application - Phase II EJ25 external coolant leaks (2000+ EJ25's and 99 Forester and Impreza RS).  It doesn't work on Phase I EJ25's at all.  Unlikely to help an EA engine.

If your EA82T has an external coolant leak similar to EJ25's then maybe it's worth a shot.  But they usually blow much worse than that and I've only ever seen one externally leaking older generation headgasket. May be risky considering the cooling systems differ.

If "repairs in a bottle" work, it's usually a limited time frame - which often means more overheating episodes which do bad things to the lower end block which won't be repairable..well not without massive expense.  Blue Devil gets touted a lot for folks wanting quick fixes, but I don't recommend it.

Edited by grossgary

A quick google search should provide you with adequate information about the product. You would think it would help to know what you are buying before you order it.

I personally have never used the Subaru cooling system conditioner, I do know however it is simply a rebranded Holts product.

It is added to improve cooling efficiency,lower PH levels and stop/clog minor coolant leaks. If you feel you need head gaskets this product will likely not help.

What are your Subaru's symptoms?

post-24888-0-20086800-1386095276_thumb.jpg

post-24888-0-88081500-1386095323_thumb.jpg

well, i don't really have any issues with the head gaskets that i know of; no white smoke, no overheating, no milky oil etc. really, i was just looking at it as a preventative maintenance thing...it won't hurt to use it will it? i just replaced basically the entire cooling system (new rad, new hoses, new water pump, new thermostat).

not to get off topic, but grossgary's comment reminded me of something i've been curious about; how do i identify which engine my DL has? forgive me, i'm new to subarus...

thanks for the replies!

john

an 89 wagon is an EA82 engine.  they don't have headgasket issues.  don't let it run hot and the gaskets will last as long as you keep the vehicle probably.   EA82's are great motors if you like cheap, reliable, and easy to work on. 

new coolant (which new hoses and such require) is excellent preventative maintenance.  good job!

• Like 1

Hey Subaru nut,

I replaced the upper & lower rad hoses, and the water pump bypass hose, so in that regard I guess I didn't replace all the hoses. Good point. I am planning to remove the heater core in order to complete my rodent extermination project, so that might be a good time to replace those as well. 

By the way, I love the lumber rack in your profile pic! I was thinking of something similar!  :D

John