Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Timing waaaaay off

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Luvn737s

Luvn737s

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 116 posts
  • Ahwatukee, AZ

Posted 03 December 2013 - 09:06 PM

This has me baffled.

I changed the timing belts and the cam indicators were set correctly before and after installation (12'oclock on the valve cover seam, one rotation of the crank and then 12 o'clock on the other) with the center valve timing hash mark. I tried setting the ignition timing to 0 and #1 TDC and then installing the distributor with it pointing at the brake booster. No start. Set it at 8 deg, no start, The only way it will start is to set the timing on the flexplate attachment bolt  beyond the 20 degree mark. It starts and runs pretty well (especially once warmed up).

What gives??

1985 GL EA81 1.8 SOHC,Carb, Auto (for now) and AC.

Edited by Luvn737s, 03 December 2013 - 09:07 PM.

#2 ferox

ferox

King of the Echo People

• Members
  • 796 posts
  • Portland, Oregon

Posted 03 December 2013 - 10:35 PM

You've got me baffled as well.  How did you change timing belts on an ea81?  Did AZ ea81s come with timing belts?  Pictures please.  Sounds more like you've got an ea82.

#3 Luvn737s

Luvn737s

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 116 posts
  • Ahwatukee, AZ

Posted 03 December 2013 - 10:58 PM

Yeah EA 82 and fat fingers!

#4 tundrabrat

tundrabrat

Eat, Live, Breath Subaru

• Members
  • 373 posts
  • Anchorage

Posted 03 December 2013 - 11:04 PM

Sounds like you have an EA82... I haven't rebuilt one of those but I'd put money on a simple thing you missed.  Do you have a manual you're working from?  If not I would recommend picking one up they're cheap and the and the answers are in there.

#5 scoobiedubie

scoobiedubie

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 399 posts
  • Aloha, Oregon

Posted 04 December 2013 - 12:17 AM

You set the rpm at about 800 rpm and disconnect the vacuum line to the distributor.

#6 Luvn737s

Luvn737s

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 116 posts
  • Ahwatukee, AZ

Posted 04 December 2013 - 06:23 AM

I've followed all the instructions in the How to Keep Your Subaru Alive and the Haynes manual and the Miles Fox videos, and a number of years of previous Subaru experience,  but if I time it per the instructions it won't begin to fire off. Time it beyond the marks and it runs very well and had lots of power and re-starts well. Cold starting is troublesome but I think that is a choke related issue. Every critical pulley has a pin or key to ensure it can only go one way, so I don't see how I could have gotten them out of time, and I never removed the cams from their carriers, so I don't think I got left and right cams mixed up. 

#7 john in KY

john in KY

1000+ Super USER!

• Members
  • 1,148 posts
  • KY

Posted 04 December 2013 - 07:12 AM

Sounds like you have the distributor installed one gear tooth off. 

#8 Luvn737s

Luvn737s

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 116 posts
  • Ahwatukee, AZ

Posted 04 December 2013 - 07:23 AM

I've tried installing it at the proper position and moving it 1 tooth ahead (advanced) but the ignition is still too retarded there. I am setting it about 30 degrees ahead in  order for it to start and run smoothly. I thought the plug wires were all off by 1 position, but that's not the case either. 

#9 MilesFox

MilesFox

Catch this Fox!

• Members
  • 10,185 posts
  • Madison/Milwaukee, WI

Posted 04 December 2013 - 05:46 PM

try to feel for an 'in-between' gear on the dist. Mind you that the rotor will rotate some as the gear engages the crank

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users