Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Will this motor work?

http://seattle.craigslist.org/tac/pts/4192514950.html

so i have a 86 gl wagon 5spd fwd with a blown motor and i need a new one bad. the car has been sitting for over 3 years now since it blew and i need to get it going so i can have a reliable commuter. any input on if this motor would work will be appreciated, or if anyone knows of a relatively cheap ea82 motors in wa i would be interested in that also since i just need to get the car going and dont know enough about the ej22 swap to feel comfortable to do it myself

yes it would fit, it is a fuel injected engine so you would either put the FI stuff in your car(if its included) or use the intake manifold and carb from your old engine.

i would be kind of careful buying an EA82 with almost 200000 on it though.....i think i would rather buy one that i know runs, you could probably buy a whole car for not much more than that - then put the best parts on the best car.

Looks like a good engine. EA82s are good motors and will take that mileage and more. There's a thread around here somewhere to show off mileage and there are plenty of EA82s in the 300 and 400k club. But with 186k on it, you may be able to negotiate a lower price. Maybe leave the fuel injection stuff for the guy to sell separately.  If you have any pick n pulls in the area, you could try and source one from one of the yards. They charge $100. for an engine with a $30. core for your old motor.