Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Should I buy an AWD Pontiac Vibe?

avk

I am looking to buy a runabout car (not to be confused with "beater"), to replace a 1999 Dodge minivan and gain in reliability and gas mileage. There is a 2006 Vibe offered locally by a private seller: one owner, garaged, with records. It looks like a very practical and bulletproof "gas-and-go" vehicle with Toyota drivetrain, powered by 1ZZ-FE engine. Timing chain, external water pump driven by serpentine belt, 120K spark plug replacement interval. The AWD is primitive compared to Subaru but comes with a sturdy double-wishbone rear suspension unlike torsion beam found on FWD Matrix/Corolla. It has rear drum brakes, but so does the current minivan. Any thoughts?

Edited by avk

• 2 weeks later...

Actually...

It IS a Toyota...

http://www.guideautoweb.com/en/articles/3357/pontiac_vibe_vs._toyota_matrix_six_of_one,_a_half-dozen_of_the_other/

Aside from the knee-jerk reaction

(a WHAT?!? have you lost your MIND?!?)

they are very reliable, practically maintenence free, well built vehicles.

if its cheap enough, go for it.

If its too much, find a good clean used Subaru.

(Go Team FUJI!)

Just my opinion...

quietly,

timothy

Well, most people would know that after 10 years. It has a Corolla/Matrix drivetrain with Delphi climate controls and radio. The viscous coupling is known to fail, the rest seems super-reliable. Indeed, if it was cheap enough, I would have bought it. But the price on this one, a very nice unit, is right in the Subaru territory. The problem is that AWD was a $3000 option when new, and used examples continue to carry some of that premium.

lesser vehicles are a good fit for many people.  can get a low mileage, not very old Taurus, or other american vehicle for really cheap.  that's a good fit for some people.  make an informed decision and go for it...which it sounds like you did, so keep at it.

Edited by grossgary

• 2 weeks later...

A caution about Taurus' (the Vehicle, not the astrological sign)

The transmissions are the only truly weak point in the vehicle.

Otherwise they are pretty tough and reliable vehicles.

The Ford engineered four wheel (all wheel) ABS system as found on the early taurus, was one of the first that actually allowed you to steer while under full brake, Try to steer a Chevy Impala or Caprice through a curve with the brake pedal stomped and it would pull you into a straight line, this was 1980's vehicles I'm talking about here, anything with ABS now works like it should and allows you to retain control. it was a selling point that helped to make the choice for the Law enforcement community (remember the Law enforcement Taurus Cars...rare now).

again the downfall for those were the transmissions.

Otherwise, pretty good cars.

Oh, the Ford Windstar has the same flaw with the transmissions, as they were basically the ford Taurus/Mercury Sable platform in a van config.

and is there a "lesser" vehicle Grossgary?

I do agree with you, which is basically drive what you want and what you like. if it keeps the weather out and gets you there and back reliable, why not run it?

After all, every vehicle has it's quirks. some you can live with, others can truly inconvenience your existence.

quietly,

timothy