Ultimate Subaru Message Board

1998 Legacy Outback - 4EAT transmission engagement issues

A friend of ours recently asked for help/advice on her outback. (98, EJ25 DOHC and 4EAT with about 95k)  As explained to me, the transmission wont shift into gear on it's own when it's cold. If she revs the engine a little bit, turns it off, then on again, revs a bit more, it will go into gear.

First order of business was the Trans-X fix. I drained 4.5 quarts of ATF out of the trans, Color was normal, smell was good. filled it back up with new ATF and a bottle of Trans-X. A few days later now, and it doesn't seem any better.

I'm not very experienced with automatics. Replaced a couple, but the functions of them are voodoo to me. What could be the cause of this? And then of course, what's the likely fix?

Safe then to say this tranny is on it's way out? Shifts fine. Drives and accelerates as it should. Just doesn't like to go into gear until it's warmed up.

No biggie. Should be some in the pick n pulls.

Is there a chart for 4EATs? 98 Outback should be a 4.44 phase 1 right? Should apply at least to the outbacks with the DOHC. Any others?