Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Ok...so I got one of those bell shaped air filter things...I took off the box that was there and its just a screen and then the electronic things. The new filter thing will rest up to the pipe well but wont go on because of the parts with the electronics...so I duct taped it. It sounds great. It has the perfect sound at high RPMs.

Ok...so what about the electronic part and putting the filter on. Should I get something there and leave the electronics on? Should I get rid of the electronics somehow? Any help for that would be goood.

I don't know anything about this kind of filter, except that some people on this board have had problems with the cone type filter application working in place of the box.

That's why the general recommendation appears to be the K&N replacement filter that fits in the box.

By the way, with this setup you have, you're getting less cool air into the engine.

Yes, it is a "cone filter", I swap one in and out of my EJ18 Impreza for kicks. Sounds fun, but ya, it does kill the low end. However, I do notice that the engine runs smoother with it on, especially in conjunction with the straight pipe track pipe catback I use for track days and such. No power gains really for either, mostly for kicks and to let the engine breath better.

As far as the "electronics" in the intake tract, that is the MAF sensor (Mass Air Flow sensor), it is what your ECU uses to read the airflow to the engine to deal with fuel and timing and such. Dont mess with it, or take it out, or you car will be fubared.