Ultimate Subaru Message Board

2007 Outback 2.5 SOHC head leaking oil?

I have been a long time lurker reading alot of great info here on this message forum and I have a problem oil leak that I have searched for here but can't see if this is a common problem.

We have a 2007 Subaru Outback 2.5 SOHC with 99900 miles on and it has been a flawless car which we bought new.  0 problems other than routine maintenance which I have done myself.  I am getting close to replacing my timing belt, idlers,etc. 

I have noticed a lot of oil drops on the floor on the RH side of engine.  In fact I have to add a quart and a half between oil changes and I suspect more oil leaking then burning.

I cleaned off the underside of the engine on that side and then drove it about 10 miles and it looks like the head gasket is leaking oil.

I have read all about the cam seals, valve cover gasket leaks, spacer plate in the rear leaks but I have not found any threads about the heads leaking oil.  

Is this common and was there any TSB's or recalls about this?

It seems odd to be leaking oil given the coolant issues with these engines and the infamous head gaskets. 

Anyway any tips or advise about maybe other possible items leaking that makes it look like it's leaking from the head would be great.  Thanks and I love this forum.  Learned a lot here allready.

One of the problems with Subaru boxer engines is that because they're in a flat configuration the oil  and water in their engines stay in contact with gaskets etc continuously  as compared to upright and V6/8 configured engines where this (oil / water is able to partially drain away)

If oil/water isn't changed regularly the contaminants "eat away" at gaskets etc over time that is why its important to change oil at 3000miles and flush cooling system (every 2 years - this is recommended in the owner manual.)

As you've mentioned the cam cover gaskets are/can be  notorious for leaking  as well.

Its also important to replace 2 cam / crank seals when replacing cam belt

The head gasket issue for earlier  EJ251 was for both for water / oil external leaks. and some internal  where the even earlier EJ25D  was notorious for internal leaks.

Am assuming your engine  EJ253 (SOHC) wasn't noted for headgasket issues like the previous two earlier engines I've just mentioned as they had resolved? the inferior headgasket problem.

Am posting 2 links that discuss this fully

http://allwheeldriveauto.com/subaru-head-gasket-problems-explained/

http://allwheeldriveauto.com/subaru-head-gaskets-problems-explained-part-ii/

Edited by subnz
  • Like 1

Is this common and was there any TSB's or recalls about this?

No TSB's or recalls, there was a 100,000 mile headgasket warranty campaign in 2000-2002 that is now aged out.

But external coolant and/or oil leaks are common on 2000-2010 EJ25's (and 99 forester/Impreza RS).

Make sure it's not valve cover, oil cooler, or front seals leaking.  those are very common and easily mistaken based on how the oil migrates underneath.  sounds like you've narrowed it down but understand our hesitation to confirm when we can't see it.

The good news is as long as you don't let it run low on oil it'll keep running as long as you care to check/add oil.  they won't catastrophically fail or leave you stranded.

The timing belt has to come off to do the headgaskets so might as well time the head gasket job with the timing belt job.

Use Subaru headgaskets.  Some are using the EJ25 Turbo headgaskets on your engine because the Turbo engines never have head gasket problems like the non turbos'.  It's not necessarily confirmed it's because of the headgaskets but they do appear more robust.

Thanks for the responses.  I will check the leak again before I order parts.  I was really hoping for cam seals or valve cover gasket leak but those seem to be ok.   I will probably will just do the headgaskets when I do the timing belt.

classic headgasket have done at least 8 now all 07s all about 135000kms to 200000kms come from lower ds bottom corner of head and upper ps side head runs down and drips off oil filter or xmember nothing else leaks just HG

Yeah this looks like mine.  Small weeping on ds and ps side is also leaking on the a bit on top.

• Like 1

One of the problems with Subaru boxer engines is that because they're in a flat configuration the oil  and water in their engines stay in contact with gaskets etc continuously  as compared to upright and V6/8 configured engines where this (oil / water is able to partially drain away)

If oil/water isn't changed regularly the contaminants "eat away" at gaskets etc over time that is why its important to change oil at 3000miles and flush cooling system (every 2 years - this is recommended in the owner manual.)

As you've mentioned the cam cover gaskets are/can be  notorious for leaking  as well.

Its also important to replace 2 cam / crank seals when replacing cam belt

The head gasket issue for earlier  EJ251 was for both for water / oil external leaks. and some internal  where the even earlier EJ25D  was notorious for internal leaks.

Am assuming your engine  EJ253 (SOHC) wasn't noted for headgasket issues like the previous two earlier engines I've just mentioned as they had resolved? the inferior headgasket problem.

Am posting 2 links that discuss this fully

http://allwheeldriveauto.com/subaru-head-gasket-problems-explained/

http://allwheeldriveauto.com/subaru-head-gaskets-problems-explained-part-ii/

Thanks for the links.  These are great reading on head gasket problems.

• 5 weeks later...

Well I replaced the head gaskets, installed Gates timing belt kit with wp, subaru thermostat, cam seals, resealed oil pump,rear plate behind flywheel and oil pan, valve cover gaskets, spark plugs and replaced the clutch and was is well no leaks and runs fine.  Used subaru head gaskets, cam seals.  Didn't use the turbo head gasket used the one for that engine.  Also cleaned the heads using the method in this post listed below . All is well and no leaks.

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/topic/122588-diy-head-resurfacing-or-post-apocalyptic-machine-shop-techniques/

There is a ton of great info and great tips on this site. Thanks to all

Edited by kpagel