Ultimate Subaru Message Board

'97 in '78 Heater question

julianco

Hello,

I have a '97 Ej22 in '78 Leone wagon.  I took over the project with the engine and tranny installed and almost everything is ready to go except heat - which is pretty important in Colorado right now.

The previous owner had already hooked up the heating hoses, and says that the heat worked great in the '78 before the swap project was started.  

I'd really rather not tear everything out, so I was wondering if someone might know how this goes.

Engine bay side from the '78,

Top hose comes from the back driver's side of the heater core, and the bottom hose comes from the front driver's side.

Right now top hose is connected to the top hose on the EJ, bottom to bottom.  

Are they hooked up backwards perhaps?

I'm assuming that matters ... right?

It should not make any difference which way they are hooked up. You should get some heat either way. I assume you have checked the obvious ( coolant level, temp switch is set to hot etc ) so the next thing to check is if the cable is connected to the heater control valve ( water cock in the manual ) under the dash.

Yes to coolant level, temp switch etc.

And though I can't see the actual valve, I can tell that the cable is hooked up to the doubler lever system, and it makes the noises I associate with it working right.

I'm thinking it might have a stuck air bubble?  Shouldn't running the engine with the rad cap off should get all the air out? 

I want to disconnect it and run a hose through it, but high today is something like 13 degrees so that may be tough.

Your valve has been removed.

That setup is full flow all the time, so it should not matter which way it goes.

To get rid of air pockets, Remove upper radiator hose from radiator end, and the rad cap, and then fill it through the upper hose.  Doing this while parked with the nose up will help even more.

nice ride, I saw it on craigslist here for a while.

As long as you run the car with the heat on full blast you should be able to get most of the bubbles out. Also make sure you are filling it from the highest point. Or get a radiator funnel. This is one that hooks up to your  radiator cap and allows you to over fill it. Then it allows you to plug the hole and take the funnel off without spilling. I am in boulder if you need a hand. I was dealing with the same thing for the last couple of days. feel free to pm me if you want a hand. cheers